What's new

Regenerating Teeth Enamel, and Speed Limits :) (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Two topics in one! *edit* I beleive that should be tooth, instead of Teath! :)

First, the dreaded dentist visit. I've been lucky, approaching 28, and I've only had one root canal, and two, maybe soon to be three, crowns. But my enamel is week, so it flakes off easily...the fact that I had alot of cavities as a kid dosn't help matters either.

If they can clone sheep, shouldn't it be a rather simple thing to regenerate enamel on teeth? They say my psoriasis may also be a cause of the problem.

Second, the Speed Limit. Just saw an article/poll on AOL news stating some states have raised their limit to 80. In the square states, where traffic is light, I can see this being possible. Miles of open road, you should be able to go at least 80. But in congested cities, I think the speed limit should be no higher than 65. It's pretty much an unwritten law that everyone goes ten miles over at times anyway, correct?

Ahh well, more worries.
Later!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Raised speed limits. All we need. Here, there are several roadways in that cut through nowhere Kansas that are 75. It reminds me of the Robocop "Goes really fast, gets shitty gas mileage". What better way to burn a ton of gas then drive really fast.

I think people like the idea that it gets them somewhere faster. But it's all diminishing returns.

They think "whoo-hoo! I can do 80! So much quicker to get there!"

But look at it:

30MPH to 65MPH (standard speed limit), you cut your time more then half; a trip that would take you an hour takes you less then 30 minutes. that's a big advantage!

65MPH to 80MPH, a trip that would take you an hour takes you 50Minutes. You just saved 10 minutes. I guess it may just be me, but saving ten minutes is rarely so critical that driving super fast to get there, burning more gas and greatly increasing chance of an accident doesn't really make me feel all that good.

On a short trip, it's even more ridiculous. You need to get 12 Miles from here to there. You take the interstate. Driving 65 for let's say 10Miles of it, it takes you just slightly less then 10 minutes for that portion, and we'll say 12 minutes over all. But what if you could do 80! Now that ten minutes turns into 8 minutes! You saved slightly less then 2 minutes! But you burned a crapload more gas! What a reward!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I agree with Matt in that raising the speed limit above 70 is insanity due to the decrease in gas mileage that almost all vehicles get after 65 MPH.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
The thing I don't like a bout driving faster than 65, is I feel preasured by other drivers to go even faster! Trucks especialy, and who wants a 5 ton monster barreling down on you in the slow lane at 70?

Even if you go 65 in the middle lane on a three lane highway, people are blaring their horn at you..

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Back to the tooth enamel .... about 8 years ago, I was a technical sales manager working with toothpaste mfrs. I worked with a guy, Tony Winston, mentioned in this article at a company called Enamelon (Cranbury, NJ) that had a very promising new technology using soluble calcuim that, over time could rebuild tooth enamel via "remineralization". I recall they held several US patents and some favorable clinical data.

This small company put a product on the market that was readily avaialable here in the east. But they soon scared the big TP companies and were eventually bought out. I haven't seen Enamelon TP for years, but I would bet that google has lots of answers.

UPDATE: I recalled that Church & Dwight Co. (as in Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste) was the competitor (and local neighbor) that bought out Enamelon. In 2004, Church & Dwight launched Arm & Hammer Enamel Care toothpaste ... you should be able to find it. It is a re-launch of the old Enamelon 2-component soluble calcuim technology. Give it a shot.

If you can't find A&H Enamel Care at your local CVS ... try here

PS: the remineralization process is really slow, but supposedly works better if you brush your teeth whilst driving 80 mph ;)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
My question is, are we talking about speed limits
on interstates, divided highways, or 2 lanes? I agree that speed limits should be less in crowded cities where the distance involved is probably 20-30 miles. But being from a 'square state' that has a lot of rural highways, I can see a benefit to raised speed limits.

While 10 minutes here and there may not seem like much, it does add up quickly for those that have to travel long distances. I travel about 50-60 miles one way to work. If I can cut my travel time by 10 minutes, that's an additional 20 minutes a day I can spend at my own choosing - with the family, exercise, or more likely, lounging. But it'd be of my own choosing, so therefore, more valuable to me.

I understand and have to consider the degradation of MPG, but I'm finding that spending my time doing what I want to do very valuable.

Oh, and I also would like to see enamel regenerated, and will have to check out the Arm & Hammer Enamel Care toothpaste.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Heck, here in L.A. they should raise the limit to 100MPH!!!!

Everyone would still be going just as fast as the guy in front of them in gridlock...about 5MPH. :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
About that enamel toothpates - I'm using one now from Colgate (I can't remember the product name now) that claims to slowly restore your enamel and whiten your teeth. Luminuous something-or-other...

Is this using the same process as Enamelon?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Here in Ohio the speed limit is 65, which is fine. But I REALLY appreciated the higher limits in other states on our 4600 mile trip to Yellowstone and back. When you drive 800 miles in a day that 10-15 MPH increase makes a big difference.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It is possible to have changing speed limits on the Interstate. Most states will lower the limit through cities and urban areas. Our limit is 65, but it drops to 55 around the city.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I wouldn't describe that as "lucky." I'm 33, and have thankfully never had a root canal or crowns. Did have one wisdom tooth removed, and there's another that could stand to go. Since my last round of cavities, I'm a brushaholic, though, and this thread is making me want to do just that right now.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> raising the speed limit above 70 is insanity due to the decrease in gas mileage that almost all vehicles get after 65 MPH.

That's an issue for the owners of the car, not the government.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
When most people are already driving 80 in a 70 zone in Florida, what difference does it make if they change it? Here in Florida, Interstate speeds are 70, and drop down to 50-65 in cities.

And sure, a 10 MPH increase doesn't make much difference on a short drive, but I'm regularly traveling to Tallahassee or Atlanta, where that 10MPH saves approximately 30 and 60 minutes respectively.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I know which toothpaste (according to Consumer Reports) does the best job whitening teeth, Ultrabrite All in One Advanced Whitening, at the ripe old age of 57, can use all the help with my enamel I can get. Will have to ask my dentist next time I see him. I'd really like to get my teeth whitened, however, at $700, I don't see it happening quite yet.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
iirc there was a dentist in the 30s who was able to induce secondary dentin at will through nutrition and diet. I'll have to look into it to see if there was anything related to enamel in that. his book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is still in print 70 years later, it was a standard Harvard anthro text for decades, I believe.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks