1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding the restoration of 'A Star is Born' (1954)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rick Z., Jan 12, 2007.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

Interesting. Not too surprising that the long wait for Ambersons has allowed it to make the leap to Blu immediately. I'm hoping Greed, The Big Parade and The Crowd end up being worth the wait and that they do indeed get the budget to release them properly.

battlebeast likes this.
  2. dolstein

dolstein Auditioning

David Olstein
    The only announcements I recall regarding the Warner Archive program would be that they would start releasing DVD-9 titles, which would allow room for bonus content, and that they would be releasing 200 remastered titles (I think these would be new titles, not remasterings of old Warner Archive titles). Also, Feltenstein mentioned that future cartoon released would not be limited to Warner Archive titles. He also announced a TV release on Warner Archives, but I forget what it was.

3. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John

Did he explain at all why the titles are priced the way the are, or whether there will be any change with regard to pricing?

4. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Bumping this thread for the benefit of PMF and others . . . .

ahollis likes this.
  5. Michael91

Michael91 Auditioning

Michael
    Any news about this alleged uncut print? If Arick has it, hopefully he releases it to WB soon since it seems likely that the new version is likely going to be a Best Picture frontrunner (it may even win).

6. Message #86 of 95 Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Second Unit

Jim
    Saw the classic 1954 film A Star is Born on Blu-ray earlier this year, starring Judy Garland & James Mason. Never seen the film before, and was extremely impressed.

Great epic storyline - very poignant & powerful. This was also a very realistic look at the dangers of alcoholism, and how it can destroy people & families.

I did notice that in the middle of the film, there were several scenes where the dialogue was just a "voice over" & we just saw pictures of the events. Obviously, this was because these scenes couldn't be restored. However, I think this approach worked well & it didn't take me out of the movie - too much. And, I preferred having this dialogue in the film than vs. having it missing.

I've since seen the 1937 version, which was solid as well - but not as good as the '54 version. Still haven't seen the 1976 and 2018 versions, but they're next on my list. I don't know which one is considered the most iconic, but even without seeing the other two I think this '54 version may be the best one out there.

7. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Since you are enthusiastic about the film, Ron Haver's book about the restoration is a must read. Fascinating stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Born-Making-Movie-Restoration/dp/1557835632/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548874516&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ron+haver+star+is+born

8. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    You (the drifter) also have not lived through years of seeing the disjointed cut up version which had missing vital scenes and strange lines that did not make sense at all like “just think of a ‘nut burger’” that remained even after the scene of Esther working at the drive in was cut.

I remember attending a screening of the restored version in Toronto where the audience gave it a standing ovation. I still hope every day that a complete version will be found.

9. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

There's been a rumor for years that a private collector has a pre-release print of the film with the missing scenes. Perhaps the folks at WB are waiting for him to 'kick the bucket' and reclaim their lost property......

10. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Why do you believe it's their property? If you read through the two threads on this subject, you may change your mind.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It is Warner’s property. The so-called private collector who has the complete print is in possession of stolen property and is directly responsible for the sabotage of our collective film heritage. Harm is done each and every day that he refuses to do the right thing.

12. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

Why wait until he kicks the bucket? If its stolen, why doesn't WB sue him?

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Warner enlisted the FBI to seize the print years ago, and the FBI tried to, but he apparently moved it elsewhere or gave it to someone else for safekeeping, and they weren't able to track it down further. But that guy is no hero in my book.

14. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Because he didn't steal it. He bought it fairly and squarely with Warner's full knowledge and approval. They had a severe falling out and he refused to co-operate with Warners any further.

PMF likes this.
  15. Michael91

Michael91 Auditioning

Michael
    Oh really? I thought that was all speculation. I didn't know Warner actually tried to have this alleged complete print seized.

PMF likes this.