What's new

Regarding the iPOD and its battery: should one be concerned? (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
We have two 5GB iPods that we bought in November 2001. Their batteries still work fine. If either start acting strange, Apple will fix the battery for $99.

I just got an iPod mini, and am giving one of the 5GB iPods to my mother-in-law.

Get an iPod, you'll love it.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
And if you are in the first year, they will fix it or give you a new iPod for nothing. You can replace it yourself for $50 afterwards.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron. Everything you need to know about batteries can be found here:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

You can easily replace the battery yourself if needed anyways. The battery is probably good for 3 years of regular use. Maybe longer if you're lucky. Batteries don't last forever!

Mike>K

Auditioning
My original 20GB iPod is now 2.5 years old and I still get a solid 5-6 hours charge out of it. I bought an iPod Mini when they first came out and today it passed it's first crash test with flying colors. Someone banged into me on the train and knocked it off my backpack where I keep it clipped. It fell onto the floor and landed on the belt clip. When I picked it up, it continued playing like nothing every happened.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to dissent and recommend the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (as opposed to the Zen). Yes, it's a little larger (about the size of a discman), but it's got a few things going for it that the ipod doesn't have:

-Slots for two removeable batteries, for an apparent 24 hours of playtime (I still only have the one).
-Line level output for connection to a stereo (the ipod only has a headphone jack I believe)
-The NJB3 is $200 (CDN) cheaper than the 40 Gb ipod.
-Support for both firewire and USB connections

I got this player back in December, and really couldn't be happier with it. It also has Creative's EAX algorithms built in, which offer some cool features like volume balancing between tracks and advanced equalization that the ipod didn't seem to offer.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
While I've owned a mac as my desktop for the past 5 years, I'm thinking of passing on the iPod, despite its inimitable design, because of its poor battery life and its relatively lackluster sound quality.

I'm in the midst of a monthlong research culling as much info on mp3 players and narrowed it down to 2 - the 40 gig iPod and the 40 gig iRiver iHP-140.

I'm slightly put off by the $499 tag of the iPod while the iRiver, with mail-in rebate, is priced at $369.99.

I've also looked at following sites for comparative reviews:

Digital Audio Player Review (a really hardcore, otaku website). While this site doesn't have a review of the iHP-140, it does glow about its nearly exact same predecessor, the 20 gig iHP-100.

IGN Jukebox Shootout (slightly dated with reviews of immediate predecessors or the Zen, iPod, and iRiver)

Again, I'm torn by the 2-fold criticism of the iPod battery - poor lifetime longevity and ability to hold charge. And I'm curious just how significantly lesser the iPod's sound quality is in real life...while I'm no audiophile, if it's discernible, then it's significant to me.

So if anyone has more info about these players, I'd appreciate any insight!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Should also add the following reviews for the Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra (I believe an NX update) and the iRiver iHP-120 may play a large role in my decision:

Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra @ IGN

The criticism against iRiver's hard drive size and value have been addressed by the release of the iHP-140 (40 gigs for $369.99 vs. iHP-120's 20 gigs for $332.84, both at Amazon).

Tough choice.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
-Line level output for connection to a stereo (the ipod only has a headphone jack I believe)

iPod has both, the line level is built into the port connector so it's on the dock or accessory

-Support for both firewire and USB connections
Same as above (USB2 and FW)

Before buying any device make sure you like the interface to playing all those songs!!!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Good point-I have no idea how well the ipod is organized, but I really like the playlist support that my NJB3 has-especially the way that you can create playlists on the player as well as define them on your PC. I remember reading that you weren't able to do this on the ipod (that everything had to be set up beforehand).

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

You couldn't before, but now you can. I think to me it's a variation of the universal remote arguments, as much as I wanted the Pronto to work, I never really liked it and went with the Harmony a few years later for the buttons. Not really all that comparable, but in the same line being an expensive device you plan to use a lot and want a lot from.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

The best sound quality out of all of the mp3 players with a great battery life to boot. Just discovered that Amazon lists the Zen Xtra 30 gb for $245.74 and the 60 gb for $369.14.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Dave...just saw your post after mine. In your decision-making, how will you reconcile the $249 for the iPod mini (4 gb) vs. $245.74 for a 30 gb Zen Xtra? Or even $369.99 for the iRiver iHP-140's 40 gb?

As I've said, I love the iPod's construction/design. But given the gb/cost ratio along with the supposed better sound of both the iRiver and Zen, I'm having a hard time rationalizing a nod for the iPod/mini. Not to even mention battery life.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Mike>K

Auditioning
The Mini is aimed at a different market, more toward the small flash-based players. Considering it's amazingly small size, it's awesome bringing it to the gym. I don't regret at all passing on a full-sized iPod for $50 more, even with four times the capacity.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I'm torn greatly between the iPod and the iRiver (40GB). The only thing keeping me from an iPod at this point is the ridiculous DRM. Why can't I mount it as a drive and access my music as-is? They aren't doing jack to prevent piracy because nothing is stopping me from copying the files all over the place in hard drive mode. But if I put an MP3 on it this way, the iPod refuses to play it. :angry:

The iRiver acting as a standard USB hard drive is the best thing going for it in my opinion. Well, that and the slick LCD remote. Other than that, it's got issues:

1. No dock. I like docking stations. Playing with cables several times per day gets old.

2. No car power supply. At least I don't see one in their "accessories" section. That's a major mistake; I won't buy it unless I can find a third party selling one, since 90% of it's use will be in the car.

3. It's a little bulky compared to the iPod.

4. Lacking in other cool accessories.

So now I'm stuck: Do I compromise on the iPod and deal with the fact that Apple is intentionally annoying the hell out of me with the intent of stopping pirates, even though they know damn well their DRM does no such thing? Or do I get the iRiver and live without all of the cool accessories? Price isn't a consideration this time around.

It's a tough call. I'm leaning toward the iPod anyway, but I'm not entirely happy about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks