What's new

Regarding the 6.1 on Marantz 5200 (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I recently purchased a Marantz SR 5200. It seems pretty good. I am running six speakers (dirrerent varieties) and two sub-woofers. The system includes a rear surround speaker. When I play DTS-ES movies like Gladiator and The Haunting, the display on the front of the receiver lights up and tellsme its receiving a signal for a rear channel. When I play Dolby Digital EX movies this rear channel does not light up (its receiving only 5.1) Does anyone out there know how these generic 6.1 systems work? I am wondering if they have the ability to pick up the Dolby EX signal or not. It seems to work,but how true is it? And what about DTS ES. I realize it is a matrix, but is the hardware (chip) any good?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
How does it sound? Have you been able to compare it with true ES and EX setups?

Doug Smith

Second Unit
No I haven't. I wonder if anyone out there has compared. I mean it seems to work fine - the scene in Gladiator where the axe flies over your head from rear centre channel to front centre channel works. Also the EX scene in Phamtom Menace where the airships race around your living room - includes the centre channel. I'm just wondering how they do it? Do they manufacture their own special chip, and if so why don't the rest?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz states that the x200 line does both discrete and matrix. My 6200 sounds just fine with EX/ES material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks