regarding pre-amps (question)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurJ, Mar 26, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Ok, I understand the whole concept behind seperates, my question is, if I had say a Denon prcossor/amp strictly for a pre-amp and had say a Rotel amp, would that be just as good as going say strictly with the rotel pre-amp and outboard amp? also, would I get the Rotel sound even though im using the denon as a pre-amp? thank!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If the Rotel power amp is sensitive enough to use effectively with Denon's preamp output you should do just fine. As for "sound," there is no "Rotel sound." But that's a debate that has raged ever since the high-end audio pundits invented it.

3. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I am NOT a believer in cables of any kind...

I was using a Denon 3802 with a Rotel amp for a couple of years. I have very highly regarded speakers (ACI Sapphires) and thought my system was great.

Then I took a 'chance' and purchased a used Rotel 970BX 2 channel preamp for $100.

The difference is amazing. The bass is tighter and the midrange has cleared up. I was shocked that a preamp could somehow change the sound so much.

Maybe it is all in my head - fine with me. For $100 it helped get the the last 5.6334% out of my system.