Regarding my kenwood vr-509 I just bought. Couple observations. Please feedback :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 10, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I love it and everything, but a couple things:

1: It gets REAL hot on the top and bottom after awhile. Normal?

2: When i turn on the radio, i can CRANK the volume up and it's still quiet as hell and only coming out the center and right speakers... Games and dvd movies work fine, out of all speakers on normal volume...

3: Which mode is best for gaming? Which mode is best for radio?

2. Jason Moreland

1. You need to define "REAL hot" a little better. [​IMG]
    2. Perhaps try a different antenna, most likely you aren't getting a good signal and the stereo is a bit off. If you can't do anything with the antenna, just turn off surround mode for the radio.
    3. It's really a personal preference, but most games have surround effects, so start there then tweak until your games sound like you like them. For the radio, generally ordinary 2 channel mode is the best, in my opinion.

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

well. hot as in it wont BURN me, but just seems overly hot AND on bottom? bottom was weird...

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Todd, don't worry about it, if you run any amp/receiver hard it's going to put out some heat! The amp section is mounted to the bottom portion of the cabinet, so naturally after a hard run it's gonna get a little warm on the bottom as well.

I also prefer music in 2 ch. mode.

5. Richard Knight

As a VR-509 owner for the last 3 weeks....
    I recommend setting it to Dolby Pro Logic II Movie mode for game systems. Since DPLII doesn't autodetect, you might as well leave it on, as it gives at least a marginal sound upgrade anyways.
    With most of the Gamecube lineup supporting at least DPL, I leave it on DPLII Movie mode, and it works great for the PS2 as well, since the receiver will automatically switch to DD5.1 or DTS when required, and then switch back when not! [​IMG]
    The heat levels sound fairly normal, though. There is a ton of electrical stuff going on under that large black hood!
    Richard