Regarding EXODUS and JEAN DE FLORETTE and big screen tv's...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The problem with the above-named movies (and many others) on DVD is that there is tremendous shimmering and/or aliasing, especially in details such as brick walls, venetian blinds, pin-striped suits, grass blades, etc. made even worse when the camera is panning. Is this situation relieved somewhat/altogether by playback using a big screen t.v. or plasma set, on which scan lines are invisible?

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    These are both notoriously bad transfers. The rule of thumb is that a larger screen will just magnify the problems you describe.

It gets even worse if you have a widescreen set. Both of the those titles are not anamorphic, which means they'll display with black bars all around unless your DVD player has scaling built in, or you use the zoom mode on your set. And in the case of Jean De Florette, the subtitles are placed in the black bars, which means when you zoom on a widescreen set, you can't read the subtitles! I can tell you from personal experience it makes for a particularly frustrating viewing experience. [​IMG] Jean De Florette (along with its companion Manon Of The Spring) is badly in need of a reissue.

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    You need to get a region-free player and pick up the Fox/Pathe releases of Jean De Florette and Manon Of The Spring. These anamorphic transfers are awesome and light years ahead of the garbage released in R1 by MGM.

Jeff

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

The shimmering on things like venetian blinds, blades of grass, etc. will frequently disappear if you use a progressive scan player (you need a TV that can accept a prog scan signal) or if you have a TV with a good internal line doubler. As mentioned, the R1 version of Jean De Florette is a pretty poor transfer and is not going to look great no matter what type DVD player or TV you have.

5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

MGM should be ashamed of their Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring discs. The transfers are simply awful. Two of the greatest French films of all time deserve better treatment than this.

6. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I noticed that most of the posts focused on Jean de Florette which I have not seen. I do, however, own a copy of Exodus and am not happy watching it (in progressive scan mode) on a 55" Mitsubishi Widescreen. Even with zooming to get the aspect ratio to be correct and maximize use of the screen on this non-anamorphic release you only see the shimmering magnified. This has got to be one of the worst releases I have from MGM. According to Robert Harris (expert on remastering and film preservation/restoring) this title may be beyond repair for the condition that the original print is in today. Pitty, for this is one of my favorites (for personal reasons) and the score is unforgettable as well.

Joel

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed. When they said "no studio could have done better with these films on DVD" in the chat regarding their bastardized versions it really was difficult to take them seriously about much else...especially considering that that the SAME TIME there *were* 16x9 PAL versions on DVD with very fine transfers.

I'd love to see a comparison of the two images side by side.

Oh yes...and to answer your question the aliasing/shimmer your seeing is built-in to the transfer...no line-doubling or scaling will get rid of it.

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Although I've recently picked up one of those cheapie AVToolbox scalers, and it does an impressive cleanup job of non-anamorphic titles like Exodus. Set at VGA mode 1024 x 786, it changes Exodus from horrible to fair, which is a tremendous improvement. I was watching The Great Escape last night and was similarly impressed.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Jean de Florette's biggest problem is the excesive compression they used to cram it only a single layer. This is the same transfer that was used for the laser, and that LD looks far better on the big TV than the DVD does. The DVD has numerous areas where the backgrounds jump (I assume due to Iframe updates) where the LD version has smooth movement in things like grasses and trees. This does deserve an anamorphic upgrade, but I may end up getting the R2s in the meantime.

10. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for The Three Colors Trilogy. I'm waiting for your review before I buy it.

11. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

Exodus is probably the worst looking DVD I own. I am hoping that MGM Europe will do this title justice and release it in anamorphic widescreen and with the Intermission intact. MGM has released some very nice looking discs on R2 which look terrible on R1 so I have some hope (eg Hallelujah Trail, Great Escape are anamorphic on R2 and look terrific).

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

possibly my two most faorite films of all time, and i would agree 100% with what Jeff U said.
    Jean/Manon were the reasons i dropped $300 on a Malata.
    the R2 from the UK are better than the atrocious MGM R1 discs (but then again the LDs are better also).
    however they aren't exactly perfect either.

i can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but i seem to recall EE and a few compression artifacts noticeable from time to time.
    the biggest fault i found with Manon was the subtitles which for some reason are double the usual size and take up a good bottom chunk of the screen image.
    much better than MGMs worthless effort, but still kind of annoying.

a real shame that the rights to these are tied up with people who could care less. i would love to see Criterion or Anchor Bay or just about anyone else get a crack at 'em.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The problem with Exodus, for any transfer, is the transfer element.

The current transfer makes a sow's ear out of a sow's ear.

A pity as this was the first production in Super Panavision 70.