Regarding E3.....

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott_lb, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I looked at the website, but want to make sure this is correct:

Provided you don't work in the industry, it costs somewhere between $300 and $550 to attend E3? (depending on the package you choose)

I've never been to a convention, and I'd like to know if there is some sort of "general folk day" where you spend around $20 bucks to go in see the general stuff (although I doubt it).

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

2. Scott_lb

Doh! Right next to the prices it states that it's a trade event and not open to the general public.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I personally believe that they should add an extra day, and do like Tokyo Game Show and have public days

The industry people have to pay $3-500 to attend as well

4. Scott_lb

Hmmmm.... I disagree. Instead, I think they should offer "Scott and Jeff Day." I think it would be a much better event [​IMG]

5. Justin1

Justin1 Stunt Coordinator

This event would be an even bigger zoo if the public was allowed to attend. E3 is meant to be as effective as possible for the industry to display its goods. The main goal of the event is to tantilize retailers and other buyers. In addition, publishers of gaming publications are allowed in and get to help sell the latest hype.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'd love to go to E3, but I don't think its a big deal if I can't get in. You could probably learn more about what's going on by having a computer and an internet connection than actually going because of how much there is inside that building.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Justin: What I'm advocating is a "public day" that is part of the schedual, like Tokyo Game Show does

8. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

There is supposedly a new event that is aimed at enthusiasts.

Sean

9. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Well I finally get to go this year, so I'm definately looking forward to it. But honestly, getting tickets to it aren't that hard. Heck, just work at a game store for a month and you can get tickets.

A public day after the main event would be pretty cool too though.

10. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Considering the silly amount of geeks that go to the show the 3 days that it is open... a public day would be some sort of geek explosion.

Plus I think they would have to redo the way that they set things up if the public was involved, just to guard against vast amounts of damage that could be done by "Joe Gamer" having a grudge against Microsoft and breaking a few of their stations.

Glen

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

If you pay the money, you're in. You'd don't have to prove you work in the industry unless you want something special (like the free registration, or press passes). I'm sure the prices are so high now to discourage everyone and their dog to go to show up. I went in 96 when it was only $50 and there was certainly a lot of people there that weren't in the industry.

This is why a lot of games are shown behind closed doors by appointment now.

12. Aaron Oppliger

I don't know if you can still do this or not, but my younger brother and a bunch of his college buddies went two years in a row. They made up some b.s. name for a firm they supposedly ran, "Optimum Configuration," then bought business passes for relatively cheap prices and got in very easily. They didn't have to set up a booth or do anything, just wander around and play games for 3 days. Nobody checked their credentials, and I doubt that it has gotten much more difficult to get in. I haven't checked all of the pricing plans for tickets, but I'm sure you can find a way in for less than $300.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Just go as a correspondent for your local newspaper.

14. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I work for a financial planning firm and our "Entertainment" stock analyst is going on the company's dime. I told him to steal something for me, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

15. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

no it is not hard to get in at all. But as stated most of the BIG titles are behind closed doors. I got to see EverQuest 2 and Star Wars Galaxies last year and none of the mags were even allowed to see it. So it just kind of pays to know some people in the industry. [​IMG]

I think exhibit passes are like $100 that is all you need.

16. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

So I have aquired appointments to go 'behind closed doors' with:
    Ubisoft
    Encore
    Sega
    Microsoft
    nYKo
    America's Army
    Lucasarts
    THQ
    id
    and hopefully Rockstar(still awaiting confirmation)

This is going to be one heckuva fun E3. [​IMG]

17. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer