What's new

Rega Planet 2000 vs. Arcam Diva 72T (1 Viewer)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
I managed to get a Rega Planet 2000 cd player to test for the next 7 days. So far so good, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the Arcam yet.

My question is should I even bother? Right now I am listening with Nordost Black Knight and Solar Wind IC's and the sound is just so sweet. Has anyone listened to the two side by side or is there something else I should look at. I am using Paradigm 100's and a Denon AVR3300 (for now). Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phillip, I haven't heard the Arcam player, but I heard the Rega, and it wasn't to my liking. It was too warm to my ears. Just my $0.02. For that reason, I would give the Arcam a listen. The DiVA CD72T has gotten good reviews in the British magazines and is said to be a bit better than the original CD72.
In that price range, you ought to listen to the Exposure 2010 and Music Hall MMF-CD25 as well, if you can find them in your area. Now, I haven't listened to them, but the Exposure player has gotten very positive reviews in What Hi*Fi? (UK). In fact, they recently rated it better than the CD72T, which had previously been their leading player in the price class (ca. $600 USD). On paper, the Music Hall player looks great. See www.audioadvisor.com for more information on the Music Hall unit. I don't have a web link for the Exposure player. If I were looking to spend $600 USD on a CD player, I would have the Exposure and Music Hall players on my shortlist.
Other players you might look into in your price range are some tube-modified models. Check out the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 at www.upscaleaudio.com . It is a tube-modified Marantz CD4000. I bought one last year, and it is a very good player for the money. Also check out the Heart CD5000 and CD6000 at Link Removed . They are tube-modified Marantz CD5000 and CD6000 players, respectively, and have garnered positive reviews (the CD6000, especially) on the Digital Drive board on www.audioasylum.com .
Best of luck in your search.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Those are so reasonably priced. Im surprised. I don't believe that a DAC can color the output of a CD, but I do believe that tubes can change the sound of a CD. So...Ill check that out. Thanks Keith.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
PhillipC -

It won't hurt for you to try the Arcam and draw your own conclusions. If nothing else, you'll get an idea of what you do/don't like in terms of sonic character.

I personally DO like the sound of the (original) Rega Planet. Yes, it is a very warm, 'tube-like' component ... but that warm sound perfectly complements my bright speakers (Magnepan). Didn't actually buy a Planet though - I got a warm-sounding pre/pro and just listen to CDs through digital inputs using my DVD player as a transport.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I characterize the Arcam sound as very accurate - in a technical sense. Unfortunately I feel it misses the mark in terms of pure emotion, or rythym. Its that sense of musicality that I find lacking in the 72T.

Its a bit more expensive, but try and seek out the Musical Fidelity A3 CD player. This is a really nice machine with a wonderful sonic character, IMHO.

/Jeff

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I, like Colin, also like the sound of the Rega Planet (original). I was able to pick one up for $650 several years ago and I absolutely love its warmth. It complements my Maggies very well. It certainly isn't the most analytical or accurate machine on the market in it's price range but I personally would give that up for the sense of pace and emotion that I believe the Rega provides.

I have not heard the Planet 2000 so I won't comment on it.

I do suggest that you listen to the Arcam and pick the one you like best.

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Well I did manage to pick up an Arcam 72 on the weekend as well and compared the two side by side. Here are my findings:

I found the Planet 2000 to be warmer and very musical. The sound at times seemed to be a bit laid back. It also soundded like I was missing a bit in the dynamic range.

The Arcam 72T was more forward and detailed. It was more revealing as well. I found it a bit bright with my Paradigm Mini Monitors.

After the weekend, I was going to pick the Arcam over the Planet. Both were superb players and I would've been happy with either one. Just a preference in sound. The only beef is that I found the Arcam to be a bit bright with the Mini monitors. My question is that I will be getting the Paradigm 100's. Will the Arcam work better with the 100's and provide a bit warmer sound??? I had them with Cardas Xlink's.

Please help me decide

Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phillip, you are going to have to listen to both players with the Paradigm speakers. I listened to the Paradigm Reference Studio 60s in a store paired with Adcom gear (stereo pre-amp, stereo power amp, and CD player) and found the 60s to be too warm in the mid-range and treble. In fact, to my ears, the 60s were diffuse and fuzzy, and I just didn't like them, at least in that set-up. If the 100s are similar, then the Arcam CD player might be a better match. Admittedly, I am just speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks