Rega Planet 2000 vs. Arcam Diva 72T

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PhillipC, Apr 27, 2002.

1. PhillipC

PhillipC Stunt Coordinator

I managed to get a Rega Planet 2000 cd player to test for the next 7 days. So far so good, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the Arcam yet.

My question is should I even bother? Right now I am listening with Nordost Black Knight and Solar Wind IC's and the sound is just so sweet. Has anyone listened to the two side by side or is there something else I should look at. I am using Paradigm 100's and a Denon AVR3300 (for now). Thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phillip, I haven't heard the Arcam player, but I heard the Rega, and it wasn't to my liking. It was too warm to my ears. Just my $0.02. For that reason, I would give the Arcam a listen. The DiVA CD72T has gotten good reviews in the British magazines and is said to be a bit better than the original CD72.
    In that price range, you ought to listen to the Exposure 2010 and Music Hall MMF-CD25 as well, if you can find them in your area. Now, I haven't listened to them, but the Exposure player has gotten very positive reviews in What Hi*Fi? (UK). In fact, they recently rated it better than the CD72T, which had previously been their leading player in the price class (ca. $600 USD). On paper, the Music Hall player looks great. See www.audioadvisor.com for more information on the Music Hall unit. I don't have a web link for the Exposure player. If I were looking to spend $600 USD on a CD player, I would have the Exposure and Music Hall players on my shortlist.
    Other players you might look into in your price range are some tube-modified models. Check out the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 at www.upscaleaudio.com . It is a tube-modified Marantz CD4000. I bought one last year, and it is a very good player for the money. Also check out the Heart CD5000 and CD6000 at www.fsaudioweb.com . They are tube-modified Marantz CD5000 and CD6000 players, respectively, and have garnered positive reviews (the CD6000, especially) on the Digital Drive board on www.audioasylum.com .
    Best of luck in your search.

3. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Those are so reasonably priced. Im surprised. I don't believe that a DAC can color the output of a CD, but I do believe that tubes can change the sound of a CD. So...Ill check that out. Thanks Keith.

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

PhillipC -

It won't hurt for you to try the Arcam and draw your own conclusions. If nothing else, you'll get an idea of what you do/don't like in terms of sonic character.

I personally DO like the sound of the (original) Rega Planet. Yes, it is a very warm, 'tube-like' component ... but that warm sound perfectly complements my bright speakers (Magnepan). Didn't actually buy a Planet though - I got a warm-sounding pre/pro and just listen to CDs through digital inputs using my DVD player as a transport.

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I characterize the Arcam sound as very accurate - in a technical sense. Unfortunately I feel it misses the mark in terms of pure emotion, or rythym. Its that sense of musicality that I find lacking in the 72T.

Its a bit more expensive, but try and seek out the Musical Fidelity A3 CD player. This is a really nice machine with a wonderful sonic character, IMHO.

/Jeff

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I, like Colin, also like the sound of the Rega Planet (original). I was able to pick one up for $650 several years ago and I absolutely love its warmth. It complements my Maggies very well. It certainly isn't the most analytical or accurate machine on the market in it's price range but I personally would give that up for the sense of pace and emotion that I believe the Rega provides.

I have not heard the Planet 2000 so I won't comment on it.

I do suggest that you listen to the Arcam and pick the one you like best.

7. PhillipC

PhillipC Stunt Coordinator

Well I did manage to pick up an Arcam 72 on the weekend as well and compared the two side by side. Here are my findings:

I found the Planet 2000 to be warmer and very musical. The sound at times seemed to be a bit laid back. It also soundded like I was missing a bit in the dynamic range.

The Arcam 72T was more forward and detailed. It was more revealing as well. I found it a bit bright with my Paradigm Mini Monitors.

After the weekend, I was going to pick the Arcam over the Planet. Both were superb players and I would've been happy with either one. Just a preference in sound. The only beef is that I found the Arcam to be a bit bright with the Mini monitors. My question is that I will be getting the Paradigm 100's. Will the Arcam work better with the 100's and provide a bit warmer sound??? I had them with Cardas Xlink's.

Please help me decide

Thanks

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phillip, you are going to have to listen to both players with the Paradigm speakers. I listened to the Paradigm Reference Studio 60s in a store paired with Adcom gear (stereo pre-amp, stereo power amp, and CD player) and found the 60s to be too warm in the mid-range and treble. In fact, to my ears, the 60s were diffuse and fuzzy, and I just didn't like them, at least in that set-up. If the 100s are similar, then the Arcam CD player might be a better match. Admittedly, I am just speculating.