Reg. Monster Cable To Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 20, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Right now, I am upgrading cables for my componets, and was curious, if a regular audio Monster cable would do well as a sub cable? It is just a plain reg. cable, but a nice one of Monster brand...would it do justice? Does it matter if it is a regular audioMonster cable?
    Also, is video better? I heard that video cables do better than audio cables as sub cables? True?
    Thanx for your time! [​IMG]

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I would say the Video cable would be better than the Audio cable because it is probably shielded better, but cannot say you will hear any difference. As far as I can tell there is no difference between the Monster Video and Monster sub cable.

However I use Monster 'subwoofer' cable for my sub.

What's the difference in price? and how long is your run?

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

No, see I had a regular monster cable just lying around from when I cleaned out my older cables and I was curious if it would work...I guess so...otherwise I might just pick up a Z-Bass from Monster...

My run, is about 6'-8'.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Abel,

There's no point in springing for a Monster "sub" cable if you already have a quality RCA cable lying around that is long enough.

Use what you've got. There's no such thing as a "sub" cable. Any shielded audio interconnect is fine.

Brian

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Brian:

Thanx man, but see I have a real nice Monster series audio cable, but not a video cable...should I still use the Monster audio one?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Abel,

Yes, just use the audio cable. I'm assuming the "video" cable uses a solid center conductor, which is more important for video applications with very long runs. At audio frequencies, especially for a sub, the audio interconnect is fine. If you feel the desire to upgrade later then do so. But I'd only do that with the understanding that I could return the cable if you didn't hear a difference.

Brian

7. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Thanx Brian, your help was quite useful!