Refurbished systems

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sean Eldridge, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I was thinking of picking up a refurbished Xbox and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. Breakdowns, reliability, etc.

thanks in advance,
    Sean

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I also was wondering about refurbished consoles. What does refurbished technically mean?

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It means that they were sent back to the factory for repair and they sent the person back a new unit, fixed the old one and are now selling it again for cheaper.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

But did they reset the internal systems? Like how when you first buy a new console you have to set the clock and whatnot, did they do that? (I really want to be able to do that for any console I buy)

5. Sean Eldridge

After I posted here, I went looking around the good old internet and found that, supposedly, all parts that are malfunctioning are replaced with brand new parts. And they go through a more vigorous testing process.

Also, looking at buy.com, the warranty for a refurbished XBox is the same as a new unit. Makes it quite a bit more tempting.

Any other opinions?

Sean

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Not all refurbished systems were defective at any point in their lives. Any system returned to a store (and thus eventually returned to Microsoft) goes through the refurb process. Once the box is open the retailer can't sell it as new and since they only make $6-$10 on the console they send it back.

When buying a refurb you very well may be buying a brand new product -or one that was dropped off a roof and repaired.

I think it's worth the money. I've seen refurb Gamecubes for $79 and Xboxes for $149. Very good savings.

7. Sean Eldridge

Well, that seals the deal. For all that are interested here is great deal at ebgames.com right now:

1 Halo - Preowned $39.99(any game over $30)
    1 Factory Reconditioned Xbox $149.99
    1 Xbox Controller S $29.99(any accessory over $20)
    Discount for above item(s): - $8.00 code: 20PRWN

One-Day Air 1 business day $9.99
    Shipping: $9.99
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Shipment Total: $221.96

Plus a $30 rebate coupon(must use to purchase item at ebgames.com) for buying an accessory and game. All told about $190 in the end.

Sean

8. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

The EB deal mentioned above doesn't seem like such a bargain to me. I bought my XBOX in February for $250 at Toys'R'Us and got the following:

XBOX
    2 S Controllers.
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Sega GT 2002
    Splinter Cell
    Project Gotham Racing

These were all new items, which I prefer any day. Also a friend purchased a used EB XBOX around the same time and he's starting to get frequent "dirty disc" errors, even on pristine games...not a good sign. Not to mention the ultimate insult; his XBOX had over a hundred songs left on it's hard drive by such horrible bands as Creed, Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit...even though he's deleted them all, it would still give you a feeling akin to moving into a house where a murder was committed. Maybe that's just me.

I don't mind buying used games, but for a console I'd go for new ,unless you find a reall outstanding deal.

9. Sean Eldridge

That might sound good to you, but I see it as paying $60 more for three games I don't want. My bundle was exactly what I wanted and roughly the price I was willing to pay.

Sean

10. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

I purchased my original playstation quite a few years back from FuncoLand as a refurbished unit. It came sealed in a refurbished box from Sony, and I never once had a problem. (Aside from the occasional overheating problem that everyone else reported.)

The only downside was it had the word "refurbished" marked on the back, which might make it more difficult to sell in the future.

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

12. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer