What's new

Refurbished or not to (1 Viewer)

DaveAr

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had any luck/ bad or good with refurbished goods. I happened upon a website mentioned here and I have seen them carry refurb Marantz receivers. I have never purchased a refurbished item myself, but was just curious if anyone has a tale to tell. The prices for obvious reasons are well under MSRP, just curious if they are worth it in the long run. I also stumbled upon Subwoofers from Mourdant-Short( not familiar with them, but referenced to in this forum) being sold with cosmetic blemishes. This I can see, maybe marred or scratched in shipping. The cost here would save me almost 150 compared to the Axiom Sub's.
The website I mention is accessories 4 less (excuse if listing is forbidden). Trying to do my best before I purchase anything. This is where I saw the Marantz rec. Comparing them to the Harmon Kardon's. This whole thing gives me more of a headache than listening to my music at a loud level. Thanks for the input.:b

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought a number of things over the years as B stock or refurbs. In theory they should last longer then a new unit because the first point of failure has been found and fixed.

gregD

Second Unit
Another POV... sounds like you're looking at accessories4less.com... I bought a refurb Marantz receiver from them... it did go bad, just before the warranty expired... AC4L was as helpful as they could have been... it had to ship to Illinois for repair (I paid one-way)... it came back half-fixed... I devised a workaround... for the low price I paid, it's OK.

I would not discourage anyone from AC4L... they were friendly and helpful... up to a point.

The moral: at those prices, don't expect a foolproof experience... the catch is that there is NO WAY to determine the nature of refurbishing on any individual piece of gear... it may be an upgrade to a perfectly fine unit... or it may be a repair to a troubled unit.

With the discount comes a gamble.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
I have purchased numerous Audio items that were refurbs and have never had 1 bad experience yet.

Dan_Whip

Agent
I just bought a refurb Marantz from A4L a couple months ago. So far no problems at all. I have looked closely and cannot find any scratches, blemishes, or anything on the receiver itself. I was also worried about going refurb, so I purchased the 2 year warranty extention. It was only 30 bucks, so why not? Since receivers are usually very reliable and the refurb has already had the initial failure fixed, more than likely there will be no problem.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I bought many reburbs, mainly sony with only 1 sort of negative event. I got my sony computer off a site called ubid. The normal warantee was only 90 days and I didn't notice.
I got it for half the price of a new one so I cant complain.The weird thing sony kept calling to see if I wanted to get an extended plan after my year was up (it was up after 90days)
So I spent $100 and got 2 years and got a new DVD burner which died earlier.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Have purchased many items (receivers, CD Recorders) from Harmanaudio.com. All excellent both in working order and appearance. Great performers...and factory warranty to boot.

I was in the same situation as you last year when I nearly pulled the trigger on a Marantz 5200 from AC4L. Though I eventually went elsewhere (H/K 510) I wouldn't hesitate to go refurb. with Marantz and AC4L.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks