Refurbished Onkyo 502 or Denon 1604?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John VonThaden, Jan 17, 2005.

1. John VonThaden

John VonThaden Auditioning

I can get these models at essentially the same price (Denon AVR1604 is $175 and Onkyo TX-SR502 is $180, both refurbished) and the only major feature difference I can see is that the Onkyo does component switching at 50mhz and the Denon is 30mhz. Seeing that I don't have HDTV yet (but will have a 480p display soon) I'm not sure this matters too much, plus I would probably want to run HDTV right into the set in the future anyway. The Denon also might not do DTS 96/24 and the Onkyo does...both are 6.1 channel receivers but I'm not sure if I will go above 5.1 just now. I could also get the Denon AVR485 for just a couple bucks more, which adds DTS 96/24 but loses 2 digital inputs.

For some context, I just moved and am rebuilding my setup from scratch aside from a pair of Paradigm Atoms. I'm living in an apartment (so a "midnight mode" feature might be desirable) on a budget.

So, does anyone have any advice? I'm sure both are fine units, but I need a little push. New suggestions are welcome too. Thanks for any help!

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I've heard good things about that Onk and you can't beat the price. It'll push your atoms just fine. But if you can find an hk for those prices- go that way, in my humble opinion. Make sure your under full warrenty with the refurbs.
    José

3. John S

John S Producer

I'm a way Denon head. But in this case. I'd say the Onkyo wins. I've switched a lot of HD through these Onkyo's over the past few years. Never seems to degrade the sgnal at all.

4. John VonThaden

Dang...so I finally go to order the refurbished Onkyo 502 and the ecost rep tells me this item has been "discontinued." I'm really trying to get a cheap refurb, so I guess I keep searching or just wait for another deal on ecost...

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Why don't you check out www.jr.com for a non-refurb. I think the model you ar e looking for is at $229 and shipping might be included.

6. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Is it really save worth a few quid to buy a refurb? I somehow doubt you'll get a full warranty exactly like a brand new unit, most probably 90 days at best.

Didn't that one bloke here buy a refurb HK? Then went faulty, as basically no-one wanted to know?

And what happens if it blows your speakers- perhaps it was returned because of some fault, but also some other occasional fault (sometimes poweroff, volume increase etc etc)

Not worth it IMO.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I believe the warranty on refurbished Onkyo receivers is one year, while it's 90 days for Denon. Onkyo does offer factory extended warranty at its website though.

Yes, the black Onkyo 502 (not the silver) is indeed $229 shipped and I would get that instead of the $150 refurbished. The new Onkyo will give you 2 years of factory warranty.

8. dany

dany Supporting Actor

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Brand-new Onkyo 502 is $200.00 shipped, today (01/21/05) only, from J&R.

10. John VonThaden

Thanks for the heads-up, I just ordered!