Refurbished DeWalt 621 routers for $150 again at Amazon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Nance, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Just a heads up that Amazon has the refurbished DeWalt 621's back in for around $150. I missed out on the last time, and have been waiting to get one. Down in the coupons/deals forum, there is a code for $10 off a $75 purchase, and it qualifies for free shipping, so total price is $139 to your door. Not a bad deal!

Thanks to all you guys (Jack, I know you have one) for turning me on to this tool- I can't wait to get it- one of the main reasons I went with this one is the dust collection feature, since I destroyed my garage with MDF dust during my sub project.

Now I can get a 1/2" shank 3/4" roundover bit!!

Wes

2. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

Done and done. Thanks so much Wes. BTW, for anyone else, the $10 off code is MAPMCEXCLUSV (has not expired as of today). $139 was my total shipped. Outstanding.[​IMG]

3. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator

Beside the 1/2" shank, what is the advantage of the plunge router over the regular router? I currently have a Craftman router and just curious to know if it's worth the upgrade.

Thanks,

Derrick

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

I've got this router (had it for a few months actually and haven't even used it yet) and cannot figure for the life of me how to line up the mounting holes for the Jasper Jig! I guess I should find the Jasper's manual with the mounting diagram for different routers and see what it says.

Also, I still have the box but cannot find the manual that came with the router or anything else. Does it come with an adaptor for 1/4" bits? I've been running back and forth between my house and our woodshop with various different tools so I think I may have misplaced something!

Brian

5. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

I have to wonder if they will actually ship them this time. I ordered one early when they advertised them last time only to get an email 3 weeks later telling me that they never arrived from their supplier and that my order was cancelled, with not as as an apology for making me wait for 3 weeks. I ended up buying a new one from Tyler Tools, shipped free, and it arrived 3 days later. I have had several problems in the past buying tools from Amazon, and that was the last straw for me. I hope you guys are luckier than I was, as the price is actually very good for that unit.

6. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

7. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Brian,
    Make sure the jig is aligned so that you can read the numbers from the bottom, not the top (seems backwards, but if it were the other way around, you wouldn't be able to see the smallest diameters and the writing would wear off quickly). There are 1/4" and 1/2" collets included.
    That sucks, Bob. I think you might agree that this is a tool worth even full list price, though. [​IMG]

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Like Bob, I too jumped on the earlier Amazon refurb sale on this router just to be disapointed. They said they could not ship it because they didn't have any. I ended up buying it from Woodworker supply I believe. $197 free shipping (New). Still a good deal. I used it for the first time about a week ago and this thing is excellent. I do however wish it had a better base, but the quality of the tool and ease of use more than makes up for it.

Jack, what's that metal ring that mount's on the bottom for?

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    I've had the Jig for over two years (with my PC router) so I know which may to mount it, I just couldn't figure out how to line up the holes with the router. Also, I've actually found the jig to work great as an offset base for edge trimming and rounding over. Of course, now I have my PC router in one of our two router tables![​IMG]
    Brian
    P.S. Jeff, no I haven't finished the AV1's yet![​IMG]

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

13. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

The only disadvantage to a plunge router is that they are not as easy to mount in a router table.

I bought the Porter Cable D-handle router as my first over a plunge router just for that reason. I now wish I had a plunge router. Nice thing is PC makes a kit which includes both the fixed base and plunge base, and can be had for $197 at your local HD. It gives you the best of both for a good price.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Lee.

What makes the plunge base harder to mount into a router table? I have that PC router with both the plunge and fixed base. I've used the fixed base only once. I leave the plunge base on all the time now; even in the router table.

I will say that the plunge base can be a little difficult as far as adjusting bit depth with the PC, but my new Router Raizer should fix that minor problem!

Brian

15. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Done! I sure hope this comes through, this will hopefully be the start of many wood projects. With a router at my disposal I am going to be dangerous.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

17. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I was able to meet Hank at a home theater DIY meet this past Saturday. That guy is the king of veneer! When I actually get into a project I will probably have a computer mounted in the garage so I can work and post questions all in an efficient manner.

18. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Speaking of dangerous, remember that the router is the most dangerous power tool. Be careful and as Brian learned the hard way, insert your bits far enough into the collet. Don't bottom them, as that runs the risk of the outside end of the collet contacting the bit shank as it starts to radius outward toward the machined bit. That would result in most of the collet grip at that point - not enough to keep the bit from slipping. Insert a bit until it bottoms in the collet, then pull it up 1/8" or a bit less. You could put an O-ring on your bit shank to mark the correct depth and leave it on so that in the future, all you have to do is drop the bit in until the O-ring contacts the collet and you'll be sure to have it in far enough. Am I making any sense? BTW, the radial arm saw is the second most dangerous power tool. I read the stats somewhere in the foggy past.

There's nothing like a router with a dust collection port for working with MDF.

19. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Adjustment was basically what I was referring to. I am going to pick up the plunge base for mine and keep the fixed base in a table. That's assuming I even get the time to do anything.

Remember, all tools can be dangerous!