Refurbed Onkyo TXSR601: why so many available?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by StevePrince, Mar 26, 2004.

1. StevePrince

StevePrince Auditioning

The other day, PCMall.com showed >100 Onkyo TXSR601 units available. Is this a bad sign when lots-o-refurbished units are available for sale?

I know there are threads that discuss refurbs, but never in terms of available quantity.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

it means they have a problem, or there were massive amounts of them sold, which means some where traded in and referbed and sold again. Im thinking the latter because I haven't heard of many problems with the 601's...now H/K...there IS a reason for so many referbs on them....

3. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I think it's the later-I've bought 3 receivers in the last 4 months (all refurbs) an HK225, ONkyo 601, and NAD T752-I've ended up keeping the ONkyo because the HK225 just had problems and didn't sound nearly as good-and the NAD was too expensive and didn't offer much improvement over the 601.

rogo

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I purchased an Onkyo HT-R500 from pcmall in December for $119 and couldn't be happier. Onkyo sells a TON of stuff so there will be more refurbs avaible for us cheap skates. Web site said a 90 day warranty but when it arrived it had an Onkyo twelve month warranty with the receipt. Gene

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Gene,

You can go to Onkyo's website and puchased an extended warranty directly from Onkyo for between $20 to $30, depending on length of contract. These contracts are usually 2 to 3 years long and start once the original warranty (whatever it's on the refurbished unit) expires. You can purchase these extended warranty anytime while your original warranty's still in effect (so, none of that within 30 days deal).

6. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

take a look at the review tx-sr601
    audioholics.com

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Another two or three years for only $20-30 seems like a good deal. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the info! Gene

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Well you're close Danny, but the HT-R500 is from the HT-S650 htib and loses the component video switching but gains a true 100wpc (5 channels)amp verses 65 X 6 for the 501. This little bugger is strong and clean. Gene