Refurbed Denon 4802 or New 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Albano, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Mike Albano

Mike Albano Extra

Sorry this will be long, but I am somewhat new to this hobby with hopes of a dedicated theater in my next home in the next three years. I just purchased a denon 2900 DVD player and love it, so I decided I should update my aging Sony D50ES receiver to take advantage of the SACD and DVD-Audio outputs on the 2900. I dont know if this matters but I have very modest, OK sounding speakers (Infinity Composition Overture 1's) that I would love to update but will wait until I have the extra cash to go nuts for my dream high end theater. So while saving money for speakers, I will eventually take this receiver and then use it as just a pre-amp.

So here is the question, which unit is best for me in the long run as a low cost preamp that I can possibly utilize for a whole house audio control in the next few years? I have found a refurbed 4802 that will have a full warranty for $1000, or should I wait and buy the new 3805 for around the same price in a few weeks. Does the 4802 have better processors? I feel that I cant really take advantage of the extra power today from the 4208 with my current speakers anyway. What do you think are the key differences and the smarter decision for me. Thanks in advance. Just so you know this is not the 4802R just the plain old 4802.

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

The 4802 will sound better in almost all resepects. It's simply a "higher end" piece of gear. however, if you are interested in composite/svideo upconversion to component outs, DP2x and the auto set up feature more than the the SQ, then the 3805 is a better buy. If you plan to add a higher current outboard amp down the line (at least a 3 channel), you may also want to consider just sticking with the 3805. I would base your decision on your current speakers as well. Processing-wise, the 4802R will have better steering and probably a lower noise floor, even if you do add a more powerful amp to a 3805. That being said, many people don't really hear the difference in that extra 3 ounces of processing power!

3. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

There is no way to make a sound quality decision without hearing both receivers. I owned a 4800 and its most important advantage was driving low impedence loads. The price difference between the 4802 and 3805 is substantial so I suggest you audition both before deciding. You could buy an excellent subwoofer for the price difference. Do not underestimate the value of the room EQ feature on the 3805. After the speakers, the room is the most important factor in the sound you hear and the parametric EQ on the Denon 3805 should provide an excellent upgrade in sound quality for most users.[​IMG]

4. Mike Albano

Mike Albano Extra

The prices on these two units are almost a wash with the refurbished model I found. It is the actual sound quality and features that I am looking for some comparisons on. I know that no one has the 3805 yet, but looking at the spec sheets what kinds of things differ?

5. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

If overall sound quality is what you are looking for, the 4802 is your best bet. It does not have the video upconversion that the 3805 has, nor does it have the auto calibration feature that you would only use once. Video upconversion is probably not that important if you prefer to plug in most of your sources directly into your TV. it's also missing Dolby Prologic 2x, and denon Link. Other than those features, you'll find that the extra power in the 4802, DACs, and better electronics all the way around will contribute to a lower noise floor, wider soundstage and better imaging. Of course, if you are driving miniature satellites, the 4802 would be wasted and you would be better off getting a new 3805 with the added features.

6. Truong

Truong Auditioning

You use auto calibration every time you set it up.
    And you get the benefit of an equalized room response
    forever.

Also if power is needed, you can always add an extra amp
    later. The 3805 just seems more future proof for whats that worth.

As for sound quality, no one knows yet. You'll have to wait or you can wait for the 4805 and get it all [​IMG]

7. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to thread crap but this thread Denon 3803 vs 4802R has been sort of discussing the two pairs.

8. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

Woops double post.