Refurb'd Denon 900

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bernie_A, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the DVD-900 refurbed for $110 (shipped). Right now I have a Sony DVP-725 (came with free chroma bug and very slooowwww layer changes but it makes up for it by being very picky and likes to skip)....I have never seen or used a DVD player with Faroudja DCDi so I am hoping it will be a nice interum upgrade for my Hitachi 51S500 while I wait for the new multi-players w/ DVI-1080i, DVD-Audio, etc. to come down in price later in the year (christmas present?).

What do you think? Refurbed 900 over the DVP-725? Should be an interesting little upgrade for the moment.....should be fun to play with at the very least.

Also, anyone know what if anything Denon may have done as an upgrade while refurbishing these units?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Unfortunately that model (DVD-900) has some design issues, it has poor high frequency response resulting in a very soft picture for one. The Denon DVD-1600 and DVD-910 models are much superior. The old Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 models are the best though.

3. Bernie_A

Don, I understand completely but hopefully, with calibration and a little contrast/darkness tweaking it should still be a ton better than the POS 725.

There is a chance that the 900 is out of stock which I didn't notice when I ordered it up. If so, what should I look for on the cheap for now......I've been very tempted with the Momi 880 for another $100 but maybe I can find the 1600 for the same price. Just thinking out loud and looking to have some fun while to good stuff is on the way.

I know....here we go again with DVD questions. Ultimately, I am lurking around waiting for the 5900's to be replaced with the new models and I'm hoping to find them around $1000 at the end of the year/first part of next year.

4. Don_Berg

I would recommend checking EBAY for the Panasonic XP30, there are quite a few deals listed right now.

5. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

The dvd-900 also has a problem of displaying the subtitles unexpectedly.

6. Bernie_A

Well, it was out of stock so I am off the hook and still on the hunt. However, I may just wait a minute and get the new Yamaha S1500.....that looks like a great DVD player for the money.

7. Don_Berg

There are quite a few of the top-rated Panasonic XP30 new/unopened models listed on EBAY around $300.

8. Bernie_A

Don, I know you are BIG on the XP30 (as are a lot of people) but I really want a newer machine capable DVD-Audio at the very least. SACD...not so sure I need it. I am a believer that you spin music on a cd player and movies on a DVD player. I have not done it yet, but...I would like to start getting into some of the DVD concert videos that are coming out. I heard the Eagles When Hell Freezes Over on DVD and it was awsome.

I think for now, I'm going to be patient and wait for some of the newer DVD players to start showing up. I've got my eye on that new S1500 as well as among others. Can't wait to see what Secrets has to say about it.

9. Don_Berg

In that case, get a Panasonic XP50 - its the XP30 plus DVD-audio, an excellent choice! Or the Denon DVD--1600.

10. Bernie_A

Yea....I have my eye on the 1600, too. Trying to find one refurbed at a deal. Even the 2200 but those are hard to find as well on the cheap. Hadn't even considered the xp50 though. I have to admit though, I am not a huge Panny fan. Their stuff seems to be hit and miss. I have a Panny 32" HDTV that's about 3 years old now and works perfectly fine. Great TV IMO. Just not sold on some of their other stuff.