Refurb Receiver??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanJE, Feb 3, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

What are your thoughts on refurbished receivers? I found a good deal on an Onkyo sr602 and a Yamaha rx-v750. Ive never bought anything refurbished at all so I dont know what to expect. Each have the manufacturer warranty.

2. John S

John S Producer

I have had good luck with them, some haven't. I see H/K refurbs having slighty more fequency of issues than others.

I had exprience with lots of Onkyo's though, not one has had an issue.

3. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I say if it's been refurbished by the manufacturer and has the warranty it's all good. Especially if there is a significant discount.

4. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Got my Denon from Dakmart.com. There is a difference between BStock and Refubs.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Not really. Those labels are pretty interchangable, different manufacturers use them differently. Some call everything one or the other.

I've got two refurbished receivers, one Pioneer, one Phillips, both are many years old and both are going strong.

6. Paul Bash

Paul Bash Auditioning

I bought a refurb Denon 3805 a couple of months ago from ubid.com. The remote had a few scratches on it but the receiver itself looked, and is still functioning, like brand new.

That being said, a couple of years ago I bought a refurb Denon DVD player and it died just out of the warranty period. It, however, wasn't worth shipping back for repair while the 3805 would be in the same situation.

7. dany

dany Supporting Actor

I think BStock most of the time has a full factory wass and is blems and scratches. Refurb is 90 day warr. I dont think this is written in stone.

8. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a 'refurbished' amp from Hafler, the shipping receipt read 'B-stock' and came with just a 90Day warranty, whereas the new ones have a 7year warranty. My old Outlaw 1050 avr was a B-stock and came with a full 2year warranty. Its all at the discretion of the manufacturer. Oh and they both looked like brand new, no marks.

9. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I ask because Im stuck Between a refurbed Yamaha rx-v750 or a new Pioneer 1014. Both have 1 year waranty. I was also looking at a refurbed Onkyo SR602 for 100$ less but it doesnt seem to have the same options.

10. dany

dany Supporting Actor

As long as it has a factory warr from an authorized dealer. Dakmart is and has some nice deals.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree, as long as it comes with a decent length factory warranty from an authorized dealer, it's probably OK.

Personally, I'd get the new 1014 over a refurb.