What's new

refurb equipment (1 Viewer)

mike steve

Grip
Hello all first of all I would like to say that this site is wonderful, very informative. My question is on refurb items
I'm thinking about buying a Onkyo dv cp701 dvd player (refurb}
@ ecost.com my question is should I try and save money and
purchase a refurb unit or spend the extra $$ for a new one with a two year warranty. I'm just starting out in the HT arena but I don't wont to play musical component's and get something decent the first time, budget is limited thats why I'm looking at refurb. Already purchased TX sr601 receiver
any advice would be helpful.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Over the years I've bought a lot of refurbished products & I've only had trouble with one of them which I returned & got another one. But it is a gamble but my thinking is, if it's not something that had an engineering problem with it to begin with you should be ok & the other thing I always take into account was how good was the original product to start with. With the Onkyo I would say give it a shot & sometimes Refurbished products can be better than new ones because they have been compltely checked out(Hopefuly). Just my 2 cents. ;)

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the only advise I can give is that I agree with Bill Will. Although, I have never purchased a refurb product. I was in the process of purchasing a Sharpvision Z9000 refurb, but it looks like someone got their taxes done before me so I missed out on that one. I would agree to give it a shot. On the other hand, Onkyo and I are no longer friends. I have had too many problems with the 3 products that I bought from them. Both of the DVD players went up in 3 weeks and the top of the line receiver went up in 90 days from purchase. Sorry to throw that wrench in there, but make sure that Onkyo will honor the warranty from the dealer. Call them first.

Good luck,
Robert

my only concern is buying the dvd player from ecost. Their shipping rates are really high. I'm not sure what it would be for the player but i know the htib i was looking at was $150. Thats half of the actual product cost!

Raj_Thiara

Agent
I've heard a lot of bad things about this line so buyer beware.

In terms of refurb, if bought from a reputable source, they should be less likely to breakdown than a new piece of equipment. If bought from a less reputable source, it could be a nightmare.

I would go to one of the websites where customers rate the various e-tailers (www.epinions.com) and check the feedback from whatever online company you choose to deal with.

Here is the epinions customer feedback for ecost.com http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Ser...splay_~reviews.

Josh O

Agent
I've had two of these units from eCost now, and they've both been horrible performers.

There's an overly high green tint and some serious artifacting problems as well as a lack of sharpness.

I had high hopes for this unit, but it's a big disappointment.

Jonathan Seauve

Auditioning
I bought my receiver at onkyousa.com where they sell their factury refurb stuff. I didn't have have any problem with them.

It is important to buy from a trustworthy source.

Godd luck

jonathan

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I bought two refurb Denon DVD players this past December from eCost (an authorized Denon E-tailer) and the first was DOA and the second crapped out a few days later. Needless to I'm done with refurbs.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought an HK225 AVR from ecost and it is working fine-I called HK about warranty and they said they'd honour it, I just have to show the receipt to the place of repair.

I thought the HK was dying but it was a disconnected rear speaker that was sending the bad vibes through the rig.

I have an ONKYO TX-DS898 refurb on order from macmall for $750 (including shipping) and I'll let you know how it works out.

rogo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks