What's new

Refurb Denon Avr-3803 (2 Viewers)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Frank, that's coincidental as heck that you've also got a set of M22s "waiting for daddy." :) Cool beans, man.

Well, I got my email response from 6Ave. Apparently, 6Ave is waiting on a 300-piece shipment of 3803's. Mine is one of them. :frowning: I'll have it in approximately two weeks.

He did confirm that my order was still good-to-go and there weren't any problems. I'll indeed have my own 3803; it's just going to take a little longer. :) Oh well. Maybe it'll grow a few extra watts during this "waiting and aging" process. :D

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Alright, I got mine today and it sounds great. The one thing I was a little disappointed about was it did not have a rename feature for your different sources. Instead of VCR I would like to rename to Xbox and also a couple of others. I just demo'd a Onkyo TX-SR600 ($289) which has this feature as do most receivers. I expected the Denon to definately have it. Oh well sounds great and well worth the $648 but I don't know if I would have paid $1000 for it.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Steve,

That's interesting; I am under the impression the 3803 has assignable inputs. To me, "assignable" means "renameable".

Can someone shed light on this as I'd like to rename a few of my inputs as well.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
You can change which input to whatever you want for the Digitals and Component Inputs, but you can't actual change the name of the source.

Like I would want to rename a few sources, for example I would change.

TV to Comcast
SAT to Directv
VCR to Gamecube
VCD to Xbox

Not a big deal but I would expect this feature on a $1000 Receiver. This would not have persuaded me if I researched a little more on the 3803 not to Buy for $648 but I would not have purchased at $1000.

I had the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX and 43TX bfore this as well as a few others and this compares alot like the 43TX. As you know the 45TX and 43TX from Pioneer are virtually the same receiver except the 45TX has the Auto MCACC and the 43TX has the Manual MCACC.

I won't be keeping the Denon for more then 3 months but is a heck of a deal for this price.

One other thing this receiver is not as heavy as I expected which again is no big deal. I expected a 45-50lb beast but the UPS Man did not even struggle on this one!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Got it. Thanks Steve. Yeah, that's too bad you can't rename them. For $650 though, how can we go wrong? :)

I plan on holding onto my 3803 for a long time. Down the road if required, I will purchase outboard amps and use the 3803 as a prepro.

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered mine on Monday morning (11/17) and was told that I would receive an email with confirmation for my order. I still haven't received the confirmation email yet. Should I worry or did it take a few days for all of you guys before 6ave sent the email.
Thanks

You should receive it within minutes. I did not receive mine either because they wrote down my wrong e-mail address. Either call them or e-mail them and they should be able to confirm your order and give you an order number.

Prepare to wait a few weeks for these as they are on backorder for 21 days.

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen:

I will call them. And, yes they told me that it would be 3 business weeks before it ships.
Thanks.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Wait a second.. you can't rename the sources on this? Above post mentioned you can do this on Pioneer 43tx and I've heard these receivers are comparable.

Thoughts? I can still cancel my order on the 3803 since it's going to take at least 21 business days to ship (about 4 weeks!).

Trevin if you are interested in the 43TX or 45TX this is where I bought mine. They are Refurbs but come with a warranty and are pretty cheap.

goto Ecost.com and search for Pioneer. I think they have the 43TX now for $450 and they sometime have the 45TX for $550.

The Pioneer Elites are very good but so is the Denon. You won't go wrong with either receiver you pick. Just look at the features between them and decide whats important to you.

I like the 45TX's Auto MCACC and also the rename feature, but then again they only come with 3 optical Inputs where the Denon comes with 5.

Good Luck

Big deal if you can't rename the sources. I had a 43TX and am now getting a 3803. I like the idea of having one cable out to the TV and not changing inputs on it. That's what I like about the 3803. I also like more inputs like Stephen said. 3 opticals are not enough! If you can get a 45TX though I would get one of those if you can get it for the same price as this Denon. If not then stick with the Denon.
The 45TX is very hard to come by and I would not get a refurb.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I agree completely on the 45TX. Great Receiver. I forgot about the component upconversion on the 3803 that is 1 of the main reasons I purchased.

What I don't understand is that, why doesn't on the OSD(on screen Display) work with just a component cable to the T.V on the 3803?

I had to hook up a S-Video so my OSD would work.

GarAlb

Stunt Coordinator
Geez,

I just read over at the avsforum that 6ave is now also offering Yamaha RX-V1400's for the cost of the old RX-V1300's ($529) :laugh:. I'm not sure if they are authorized for Yamaha though...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Because it don't thats why!!! lol
I plan on using mine for a PIP sort of thing, on one of the svideo inputs.

I have a ton of experiementing to so, with various best setups for myself. I had initially thought of not using the dual tuners in my new set at all. But maybe those tuners would actually give me best NTSC regular cable performance on my new HDTV???

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor

Only the main system setup over a black screen. The on-screen volume change and input change screens do not. This is pretty consistant with other receivers that offer component switching.

Related to some of the questions above...FWIW, I guess I just don't understand why input naming would be much of a big deal. Even if the reciever offers it, the remote's labels don't match. So everyone still has to know that VDP is the X-Box, etc.

Jeff smit

Agent
I just recieved a email from 6ave and they said it would be shipping either fri or mon..... I can't wait. Now I need to finish my speaker purchase. I have a thread over in the speaker and subwoofer section under the title "JBL questions???" I did make one change of E20's from E10's in the package I have picked out.
JBL
2xE60 fronts L/R
2xE20 surround
1xec25 center
1xE150p sub $760.00 out the door price (10 dollars more for the E20's)

If anyone here has suggestions I am open to them, Keep in mind, my out the door price.

thanks
Jeff

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Only the main system setup over a black screen. The on-screen volume change and input change screens do not. This is pretty consistant with other receivers that offer component switching.
Actually, I just bought this guy last night and set it up. I have only the component monitor output running to the tv, and I have all the on screen stuff displaying just fine over whatever I am watching. Make sure that you go in to the menu system and turn on OSD to Mode 1, and it should work fine.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
So your telling me that when you turn the volume up on the 3803 the OSD shows you volume control on the T.V with just the component cables run to the T.V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks