Refrigerators

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ikiru, Jul 25, 2002.

1. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I are moving into a new house and we need a refrigerator. I would like to get some of yalls opinions on any brand out there that I might look at/avoid.

Here are our requirements:

-Stainless Steel
    -Crushed/cubed ice
    -Filter on water and ice
    -At least 25 cu ft
    -Energy Star
    -Side by side model
    -under $2000

Thanks!

-ikiru

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Avoid "Amana".

The only bad advise my father every gave me was to buy an Amana refrigerator. I bought one and the seals were constantly coming out of place, and this was with regular use.

I see you're opting for stainless steel. Impressive. I opted for the black high gloss panels that I had to put on myself. Another huge mistake.

3. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Until recently, I sold appliances for a living and always had the best luck with Whirlpool products. Their best is Kitchenaid, but you can save some $$$ if you go with the regular line. Whirlpool year after year has had the best repair record of all major brands.

Scott

4. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Check consumer reports for reliability. One feature that stands out for us is the GE ice dispenser on the door that can accommodate tall glasses and pitchers.

5. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

I have a Kitchen Aid (high end Whirlpool) Superba Model which is great - very quiet and has worked flawlessly for 4 years. Moving up the model line will get you a lot of handy features from the base models which you'll appreciate over time. GE, Whirlpool and Maytag are good as well - i would avoid lines like Amana and Frigidaire.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've not had good luck with Whirlpool appliances, in general, but my fridge is still OK. It is noisy, though.

I'd prefer Maytag or Amana, personally. Side-by-sides, that I've used, seem VERY space inefficient to me. I like the bottom-freezer versions the best.

Todd

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter