Refridgerator Help

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by WillG, Jul 29, 2006.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

In the past couple of days, I have noticed that my refridgerator has not been very cold. For example, yesterday, I noticed that milk had gone bad that only had been bought a few days before. The water I keep in my Brita pitcher is also noticably less cold. I have the temp settings near the maximum. The freezer seems to be okay. Does anyone know what could be the issue?

2. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Sounds like a defrost issue. If it's a sxs take the inner back panel of the freezer off and look at the evap coil. It will be iced over. Take a hair dryer and defrost the coil. I bet it's the defrost bi-metal t-stat thats bad. I sell tons of them.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It could also be that the coils just need vacuuming out. Find out where they are on your unit (either the back or bottom of the fridge) and see if they are caked in dust. If everything is clean and you still have problems, then aaron's suggestion is a good start.

Here's a quick troubleshooting guide:
    http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...frigerator.php

4. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Or it’s slowly decompressing, can you hear any hissing sound within the fridge freezer?

Or you may have punctured the cooling coils when cleaning it with a shape knife?

5. DougR

DougR Second Unit

I have to agree !!

It sounds like the Coil might be in need of cleaning ( Cat Hair,Dog Hair,missing a Cat ?, Dust Bunnies,dead Bugs , etc.........

6. WillG

WillG Producer

Thanks,

Unfortunately, the coils on my fridge are pretty difficult to get to. It was a real mess in there. I took the hose attachment of the vacuum and sucked out all the crap that I could. We'll see if it helps.

7. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Will, Cold air circulates from the freezer to the refrigerated compartment. If the freezer is staying cold, then it's an airflow problem into the refrigerator compartment. What brand of refrigerator do you have? I highly doubt you have a bad compressor or a refrigerant leak. The freezer would be warm if that was the case. I would bet the bank it's a iced over evaporator coil. It's such the norm in todays refrigerators. Always the defrost bi-metal t-stat thats bad. No air is passing through the coil to get into the refrigerator compartment.

8. WillG

WillG Producer

It's a GE. I'm not sure of the model, but it's a standard, white, freezer on top fridge on bottom. I checked it out this morning and, knock on wood, it does seem colder in there.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Glad to hear it's getting colder. I have nothing really to add, but a dumb Vaudeville theater joke.

Man #1: I can't seem to get my refrigerator to stay cold...

Man #2: Try marrying it.

[​IMG]