What's new

Reformatting a notebook computer...drivers? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

my friend would like to reformat her notebook so that she can have a "fresh start".

the only problem is she is not the original owner, so dell will not send her a restore cd.

i can reformat the hd for her, but i'm concerned about any drivers that i'll lose. the only driver i can think of that may be an issue is for the nic card.

so, two questions.

1. is there a way to determine where the nic driver file is located and back it up?
1. are there any other drivers i should be aware of? since it's a notebook, i'm not real familiar with what kind of drivers are involved (cd/floppy/screen/sound/???)

thanks,

ted

Brian E

Screenwriter
Most, if not all, Dell drivers can be downloaded online. Just go to the support part of their site, as long as you have the model number. Of course you can't download the OS.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Yep you can go to Dells site and download everything that you need for the laptop. Granted there are a lot more drivers then a standard desktop to load but it can be done.

KyleS

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Dell might not have the newest drivers, though. If the laptop can still be booted without a problem, you can also check Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device manager and look at all of the devices that are listed. You should then go to the actual company sites and grab the newest drivers for the various devices.

At the very least, grab the drivers from Dell to get functional drivers for everything, then identify the hardware and confirm that you have the newest drivers by going directly to the hardware manufacturer's web site.

Also, if you are going to a newer operating system, (like upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows 2000) the O/S might have most or all of the drivers that you need. I've found that Windows 2000 contains ALL of the drivers for my old Gateway laptop. I don't have to install ANY drivers.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Granted there are a lot more drivers then a standard desktop to load but it can be done
that's one of my main concerns. i've reformatted many desktops but never a laptop. are there drivers that are unique to laptops that i should be aware of? the only one i could think of may be for the lcd screen?

i'll check out the device manager. afaik, all her components are stock (even the nic card has 'DELL' on it).

thanks again...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
all her components are stock
Dell does not manufacture their own hardware. Everything in Dell laptops (as well as other companies) is an OEM component that is sold to Dell by the original manufacturer, branded with Dell's logo, and then assembled into the laptop. Do not assume that just becuase it has a Dell logo that it is manufactured by Dell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks