Refinishing Hardwood Floors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Kuester, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

My wife and I are thinking about refinishing our hardwood floors. It would be about 800 sq feet. (living room, hallway, 3 bedrooms) The main question I have is should we do it ourselves, or have it done?

We both work full time, I'm guessing I will need to take some time off of work. My wife called for a quote and they said they would need 4 days to complete.

Has anyone here done this, (or had it done)? How long did it take you? Any advice?

I'm sure we are at least a couple months out, but I thought I should at least ask and get some opinions on which way we should go.

thanks,
    steve

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

When I bought my house, I refinished all of the floors in the place. It should have been much easier because I hadn't moved in yet. There was no furniture to move and nobody to step on the floors after sealing. However, I'll never it do it myself again. It's a lonely job...the drum sander is so loud that you need ear protection. You can't talk to anyone and forget being able to listen to music. It kicks up a lot of dust. It's very easy to make ruts in the floor if you don't continue moving it at a steady pace. Getting into the corners or stairs are a bitch. I love hardwood floors, but I can't recommend more highly that you find a pro to do this for you.

4. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

I own a Hardwood Flooring company.

This is not a job that an inexperienced person should engage.

First and foremost, there is alot of skill and knowledge required to do the job *correctly*. I can't tell you how many times I've done work for someone, who had done another room in their home prior to the one I'm working on. They'll tell me that they think what they did looks great, but they just don't want to "kill themselves" again. After they see my work versus theirs, they usually want me to refinish what they did too.

Secondly, the rental equipment is always sub standard in comparison to what us professionals use. So even if you have skill, it's very hard to get a nice finished product.

Third, if you do the floors yourself, and damage them in the process, you will be charged twice as much by a professional to correct them, because it becomes more of a job for us to get them to look right. (Not to mention what you already spent on rental equipment and supplies, plus your personal time.)

Believe me, I have literally had women cry on the phone because of what their husbands did.

If you need any other advice, I'll be glad to help.

5. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Thanks guys, I think you just sealed (no pun intended) the deal. We were leaning towards having them done, but I just wanted to find if that was the correct decision. If I had gotten a bunch of responses saying "I've done it myself, no big deal" I would have reconsidered.

steve

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Joe,

I was considering having my floors refinished, and was wondering if today's equipment is good at keeping dust to a minimum or if it's inevitable that I will have dust everywhere.

Thanks,
    Brian

7. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

You will still get dust.
    There are new vacuum systems available, but the key word they use to market them is "dustless". Don't let anyone tell you that there will be *no* dust.
    Ask the Hardwood contractor what he will do in terms of preperation and cleanup. He should seal off the room/s that he is working in with plastic and low adhesive tape, and do vacuuming of baseboards, window trim, and doors afterward. If he takes the time to do the above things, your experience won't be that bad at all.
    I've heard horror stories from customers about other flooring guys that they've used, actually not hanging plastic!!! Their whole house was dusted out!

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter