Refiling Taxes?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ToddJ, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

What is the best way to refile taxes for past years? I am not sure if it is a good idea or not, but I want to refile my taxes for at least 2 different years because I found out later on that I was qualified for a lifetime learning credit that I never got. H&R Block seems to be quite spendy....is there tax software out there that will help with refiling?

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I saw your other thread on student loans. are these for years that your tuition and books were not paid for by the student loans?

That

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    1040X is the form you need to use. Both TaxCut and TurboTax software have provisions and instructions for it. If memory serves, you can refile up to 3 years past.

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Make sure you have the necessary documentation to show you're eligible for the credit. If you file 1040X's for multiple years, it's extremely likely your filings will get sent to an examination unit. Not a big deal...Usually just a letter asking for documentation to support the claim of credit.

You could easily do this yourself by the way. You just need a copy of your original returns for each year and then fill out a 1040X. It's a three column form and really pretty easy to do.