1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Referral: Home Digital Jukebox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Yup, I know sacrilege to be thinking about this, but I want something I can store ALL my CDs on for the home distribution system. The media room will have the high-quality audio/video. The rest of the house will have good quality (not hifi-quality) speakers connected to a decent receiver. For the house, I want to be able to play random music based on genre for instance. This seems to match my lifestyle.
    So, now that I've attempted to justify why I want to buy something that will play a lesser quality sound than what I'm accustomed to. ;-)
    I've just started looking at the home digital jukebox systems. Found the Compaq, HP and a few others like Lansonic.
    Is there a web site out there that lists all the different home jukebox systems?
    The HP seems like a perfect blend of functionality. The price is high, but I'm willing to pay it if necessary.
    I'm just having problems finding a forum for this stuff or a site that lists all the products in the category.
    Thanks!

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Bill,
    Have you considered digital cable? I dunno what service is available in your area, but Time Warner includes "Music Choice" with 50 different Dolby Digital stereo audio channels on most of their CATV franchises. It was available here even before they upgraded the cable plant to support digital video. For background musak, it's quite reasonable.
    "Light Jazz" is my choice [​IMG]
    Another option would be MP3 files on a PC, but that would be a lot less convenient.
    ------------------
    Selden

4. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered following:
    CD-changers from Sony
    DSX from Nirvis as digital cross-connect
    Slinke-e/CDJ from Nirvis for management of changers and DXS;
    use slinke/CDJ with CM11A to manage lights via X-10, or use CDJ + Homeseer to do X-10;
    use coax to distribute digital signal to rooms; then DAC/receivers to amp/convert signal;
    You will need a PC to run CDJ/Homeseer; you can use it as DVD player/scaler (HTPC), and with decent audio card run M$ Media encoder to distribute sound via Ethernet around home.
    enjoy..
    look at www.nirvis.com www.homeseer.com
    _zjt

5. Bill Bradstreet

Looks like I have some more research to do!
    Thanks guys!!
    I had not seen the Kenwood yet. Just one more to pick from? ;-)
    As for the other stuff, I don't think I had even heard of some of that stuff. :)
    Bill

6. Bill Bradstreet

I just looked at the Kenwood. A 20-gig drive isn't going to cut it for me. The price seems high too. I've been looking at the ZapStation. It's price is steep too $1500, but it has a bunch of what might be useful options.
    Lot's of choices to make. Good thing I'm not buying for another month or so. ;-)
    Buy house first. ;-)

7. Kevin Ziegler

Kevin Ziegler Auditioning

The Kenwood Entre' does have a couple of features that the other digital jukeboxes like the Zapstation and the HP de100c don't:
    - It provides a GUI and control for their 400-DVD changer.
    - It streams MP3 and Internet radio content over phone lines to other rooms with the Axcess remote module, with up to 4 simultaneous streams.
    I hear you about the 20GB limitation, though - 40GB would let me put all my CDs on it at 320kbps and still have room to spare. But I have their DVD changer, so I will at least wait to see how the Entre' performs. Unfortunately, every week its delivery date gets pushed back a week [​IMG]
    For pure single-room storage, I would look at the HP offering or wait until the Onkyo/Integra box (http://www.integrahometheater.com

8. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Sound & Vision Magazine had an article in the October 2001 issue that gives an overview of Hard Disk Recorders. Here is the table that lists the various players available in PDF format.
    The table doesn't list the Yamaha CDR-HD1000 which was reviewed in the October 2001 issue of S&V. It also only has a 20 GB drive.
    David