Reference quality CDs of more modern/popular music

Discussion in 'Music' started by NickSo, Feb 27, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Jul 2, 2000
    Nick So
    Ive done a search here, and found a few threads on people looking for good quality redbook audio CDs, but a lot of them seem to be older stuff, lesser known stuff (a few more popular ones in there though, IE Dire Strait's Brother in Arms).

Are there any more modern (mid-1990's onward) of more 'popular' music that have good audio quality on redbook CD?

Any genre is fine, just throw 'em out here [​IMG]

How is Jewel's PEICES OF YOU CD? In the cable debate over in Recievers/Amps, i read a little ditty about the reviewer using a Jewel recording to test the cables, so i thought i'd throw it in my system. Its decent, but my speakers have only been set up using by eye. Im gonna try to do a real detailed setup this weekend, with string and all [​IMG]

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Jul 8, 1998
    A few of the best sounding newer CD's I own are:

Queensryche - Empire
    Thomas Dolby - The Aliens Ate My Buick
    Guns and Roses - Use Your Illusion 1&2
    Eric Johnson - A Via Musicom (spelling?)
    Alice in Chains - pretty much their whole catalog
    The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (can't get much newer than that, right?)

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, most newer rock CDs sound like crap. I probably have 400 CDs, and I would be willing to wager than less than 5% of them sound really good. Which is pretty sad, really.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Aug 15, 2002
    Two of the finest recordings of the last 10 years, in my opinion, are from the hands of Daniel Lanois. Check out his production on Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball (1997, I think) and his most recent solo album, Shine (2003). Also, Nanci Griffith's Flyer (late '90s) is a spectacular recording. The follow-up, Blue Roses from the Moon, produced by Don Gehman and mastered as HDCD, doesn't sound as good to me.