Reference Level- for what room size?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Cruz, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Ryan Cruz

Ryan Cruz Stunt Coordinator

A lot of us have calibrated our systems to reference levels using SPL meters, and most of us find this setting too loud.

Just what room size is the basis for reference level anyway? Maybe its too loud because the rooms we use are too small.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It's the same no matter what, actually. That's the whole idea really, to make it the same in every situation so that ref level at my place is the same as ref level at yours.

I agree, it's too loud.

And even though I can calibrate my system, I doubt it can cleanly hit a ref lev peak. Not enough power.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, ref cal is relative to whatever room your setup is in. "Too loud" at reference level is irrelevant also, since most people do not actually listen at reference levels 90% of the time, I know I don't.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Guys, Guys.. just because you use 75 db for test-tones does not mean you peg the volume control at this position and listen to movies at this level.
    You adjust the volume for each movie to taste.
    Ryan - if you think about it - if you adjust the volume control in a small room to read 75 db at the listening position, and someone else does this in a large room: which room has the louder sound?
    Neither. The volume in both rooms is 75 db at the listening position. Thats what you use the SPL meter for - to get a known volume. [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

This thread might prove of interest. Note the number who listen at this level.