What's new

"Reference" for Audio apps vs HT? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
For AV receivers doing double duty (HT and Audio), can someone better explain the relationship between "reference" and how it related to music applications?

For example: If I have my (5.1) setup calibrated to "reference" for Home Theater apps, how do I know that when I listen to music that I am also hearing what the sound engineer and artist intended (to the best of my system's capabilities, anyway)? Or is there simply no relationship between the two? It seems the implications for bass mgt could be significant.

Any input appreciated

--Steve

BruceD

Screenwriter
Steve,

I have never been satisfied with the bass management delivered by most of the mid-fi manufacturers. I also don't agree with the THX imposed crossover limits.

So I rolled my own. I put an electronic crossover on the L&R output of my 2-channel preamp between my 5 channel Amp, Main Speakers and Sub. The AUX input on my 2-channel preamp is from the L&R outputs of my DD/DTS processor. Like this:

DVD toslink --> DD/DTS Processor (Pro)

DVD component video --> 36" Direct TV

Pro SL&SR out --> 5 channel amp SL&SR in

Pro Center out --> 5 channel amp Center in

Pro L&R out --> AUX-in stereo preamp (Stereo Pre)

Stereo Pre L&R out --> electronic xover L&R in

elec xover L&R high-pass out >@60Hz --> 5 channel amp L&R in

elec xover Mono low-pass out Parametric EQ in

Parametric EQ out --> Powered Sub

CD L&R out --> Stereo Pre CD in

TT L&R out --> phono preamp --> Stereo Pre AUX2 in

I set my processor to: NO SUB, Large Mains, Small Center, and Small Surrounds.

The electronic crossover is set to 60Hz with steep slopes (-24dB/octave) even though my mains are good to 32Hz.

What this means for DD/DTS is that all bass is routed to my mains (LFE and all re-directed bass from other channels).

I set the reference level for both the mains and sub once and use it for both 2-channel (CD and TT) as well as DD and DTS without ever adjusting bass levels again.

By the way, one of the reasons you may constantly want to adjust levels on the bass probably has more to do with boomy room modes.

Because of these boomy room modes, I also have a Parametric EQ between the xover and my powered SUB and use it to cut the boomy peaks in my room so that bass is smooth and even.

BruceD

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Thanks Bruce,

Great input. I have been considering re-wiring via the line levels as opposed to the LFE, in order to use my subs x-over rather than the receiver's.

Truth be told, the bass is not horrible. In fact, it's better than it has been in quite some time, since I've been tweaking the placement. You're right, however. I have an awkward shaped room, that is not helping my bass response at higher volumes. An EQ is not in the budget, so I'm looking for ways to manipulate my ch settings and DSP modes before I start running more speaker wire. LOL

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks