Reference DVD to use? Any 7.1?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Thomas Smailus, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

Avia, Video Essential - those are the two that do audio and video. Dolby has some stuff for audio only.

However, does anyone have a disc that includes 6.1 or 7.1 audio setting, that is including the rear surround?

I see that there is a 'Digital Video Essentials' comming out - I cannot find out whats on that at all - in a few weeks we will see, I suppose.

Avia's site indicates something new, a -pro version - but guves no info on what will be on it either.

Is there some 3rd or 4th party I have forgotten.

I'd like to buy a single disc to cover the audio and video setup on a 7.1 system and a future 16:9 HDTV display.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I think that the S&V disk will give you test tones for 6.1, but not 7.1.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is currently no such thing as 7.1, period. It is a processing function of receivers - 6.1 and 7.1 are the same signal, except that 7.1 has an extra speaker (playing the same thing). This means, you only need 6.1 calibration tones.

Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up, is the only disc I know of that has 6.1 tones.

6. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

Let me clarify, I am interested in calibration / setup DVD's and not movies and similar material that utilizes 6.1 or 5.1 with DTS ES soundtracks.

I am aware that there currently is no films out there that use 7.1, however the DTS specification does allow for it.

From the
    DVD FAQ, section 3.6.2
    :

DTS ES support 6.1 channels in two ways: 1) a Dolby Surround EX compatible matrixed rear center channel, 2) a discrete 7th channel. DTS also has a 7.1-channel mode (8 discrete channels), but no DVDs have used it yet. The 7-channel and 8-channel modes require a new decoder.

The 7.1 processors do handle each of the 7 channels independantly, or are capable of handling them, so it is possible to set the characteristics of each of the 2 rear channels separately (to adjust for room shape or speaker location, say). So what I was interested in finding is a proper DVD that does offer this. I'm sure the test tones in the reciever cycle thorough it all, but its worthwhile to go through an independant setup process, I think.

Now the FAQ also states that the 7 or 8 channel modes require a new decoder, but with the text, what that means, is not clear. If 7 channel refers to 6.1 DTS ES, as it seems to, then the DTS ES decoder may already be able to decode a 7.1 signal. If not, then some DTS ES+ decode process may be needed in the future (and hopefully available via the much advertised and little used RS232 ports on many recievers). Of course, if there is no 7.1 DTS ES mode, then there will not be any software and hence no need for a setup DVD for it, until such time as a 7.1 system starts showing up in soundtracks.

I guess, in the end, the question is answered in the the S&V TTU disc has 6.1 tones and from there I can likely use test tones to set the L rear and R rear channels from that level.

I still wonder what the new Avia and Video Essentials discs will contain. Anyone know?

7. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Any dvd with the thx optimizer will have test tones for the rear surround (assuming you have activated rear surround on your receiver).

You will only get one rear surround tone, split if you have a 7.1 system.