What's new

Reference DVD players (1 Viewer)

Craig Rup

Grip
I have been reading a particular web site which tests players to extensive levels, its disappointing when you learn that a player you own fails the grade in this case the Sony NS999ES I also noticed that the Pioneer elite 47 failed matter afact most all the Sonys and Pioneers tested failed the grade. Now I do not want to cry sour grapes, but if I recall both these players have received accolades for their performance from numerous home theater publications.

Personally I have never experienced anything but top notch performance from my player and am ticked off to read the findings from this particular site.

I am curious if anyone else out their has experience problems from their Sony or Pioneer.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Im sure you are referring to hometheaterhifi.com and their dvd benchmark reviews. It is true that many sony players fail to pass many of their video tests, but that does not directly imply that you will not be satisfied with using them. Many of the tests that a player fails are not items you would notice on a regular basis. Also, they are measured in a 480p application, so if you are using your player into a regular tv in the 480i mode, you may never notice any of the problems.

I have a Denon 2900, that rates very high on that list, but my previous player, the DVD-1600, rates even higher. That does not directly imply that the 1600 is going to give me a better picture on all dvds. On 99% of the dvds I own, the 2900 is better, but because the 2900 failed one particular test that the 1600 passed, the 1600 got a higher rating.

I have tried some of the players you mention, and I see their various bugs and flaws easily. Then again, I know exactly what too look for. If you read the benchmark criteria, and exactly what each test means, you'll begin to understand the importance of each pass/fail grade.

If you have a critical eye, and perfect playback is imortant to you, then some of the higher rate players may be worth looking into. Once you become aware of some of the problems associated with player like sony and pioneer, and can spot them, you might go nuts every time you see them. But if you are enjoying your player, and see nothing to complain about, then you can save yourself alot of money and avoid upgrade-itis that plagues most of us.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes after reading that site's excellent in-depth tests, which the regular review publications don't perform, I tried some of the top-rated Faroudja-based DVD players and tested them in detail myself. I found I agreed, the Denon DVD-1600 and Panasonic XP30 (top-rated) models I tested did have better picture quality, sharper and better de-interlacing than the Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, JVC, etc models I have tried before. I ended up getting rid of my old DVD player and got a Panasonic XP30 used on EBAY - its great!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just like professional movie reviewers, I have stopped relying on most pro audio/video reviewers for common-sense, real-world opinions on equipment. They nitpick everything to death, a major example of "can't see the forest for the trees."

There is no perfect piece of equipment & there never will be. Pursuing such a goal relentlessly (ahem) in an obsessive manner is inviting needless stress (end of philosophy segment!).

LJ

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
I was lucky enough to get a jvc n5sl player. It's the best display I've ever seen.

Worth about $300 a jvc's site, I got it for 95 @ amazon.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Craig,

Same thing happened to me with my Elite DV45A after reading the secrets of home theater site. Sent me into panic mode about it, and on several wild goose chases for the Panny's (RP82, 62, 72, XP30, 50). Really come to find out, I was very pleased with my DV45A pic quality as it was. Don't let that site bother you too much, a lot of the stuff they test is so detailed that most people would not see what they are testing on the actual playback from the DVD player. Perfect example is from Jeremy above with his 1600 and 2900. I wouldn't sweat it too much...take it from somebody that's been in the exact same situation as you.

Leo

Second Unit
Remember that it's your eyes and ears that matters. You will be the one watching the image and hearing the audio and it's only you that needs to be satisfied with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks