What's new

Reference Discs (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I apologize if this is in the wrong place but I finally have gotten a DVD player that can upconvert to 1080i (Sammy HD931) and I would like to know what everyone else uses as reference material in their setup...I want to see just how good things can be now that I can.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I'm using my HTPC to output a 1080i signal to my Widescreen HDTV, and I can see a noticeable improvement on the benefits of upscaling.

There is one transfer in particular that just blew me away completely.

DareDevil I was simply AMAZED by the picture quality. Even as soon as it started, I immediately noticed that everything was far more detailed that 99% of all of the other DVDs I've seen.

Upon comparing it to the Windows Media 9 trailers in High Definition, I'd say that DareDevil looks BETTER than any of the HD trailers available.

Also worth mentioning is Training Day. When upscaled to 1080i, looks magnificant. It has to be seen to be believed just how good it looks. I'd say it's on par with DareDevil, and Training Day came out way before it.

Also, people almost always mention Below. I have this DVD, but it looked just "alright" when played through my regular DVD player. I have not tried upscaling it to see if there was an increase in quality.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
- The Fifth Element superbit
- Attack Of The Clones
- Starship Troopers superbit
- The Fellowship Of The Ring EE
- Finding Nemo

are the ones that I use. Mind you, I only just got an LG DV7832 last week and I have not run my entire collection through it.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I would take FOTR out of that list. It's too filtered, and it has edge-enhancement. The other titles I would agree with though.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Fifth Element (the vanilla version is pretty good as well).
Tropical Rainforest (IMAX)
Shrek
Bug's Life

However, bear in mind that if you use a very good disc, you may not get a good idea of how the system will perform under normal conditions. I'd recommend taking a couple of 'ordinary' movies you watch reasonably regularly as well. After all, that's what you'll be spending most of your time watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks