Ref50 firmware upgrade did not help audio drops

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chip E, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I just picked up my Ref50 from Tweeter in Cherry Hill,NJ. I had it sent back to B&K for a firmware upgrade from version 1.0 to version 1.04 I also have Comcast High Def cable via the SA3100HD box. I had major audio drops and was told this would fix it. I still have the drops. I'm bummed. I know it's the processor because i ran the SA 3100HD directly into my Mitsubishi65413 for the last three weeks with not one dropout. I don't know what to do about it now.. i guess call Jerry at B&K.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Chip (this is a repeat of my response on AVS),

I assume that when you run the cable TV audio to the Mitsubishi 65413 (TV, right?) you are using the analog (L/R) connections? And when you are connected to the Ref50, you are using a digital (coax, optical) connection? If so, the Comcast cable TV receivers are known for their audio dropouts through the digital connections.

If the above scenario is true, find another prepro or receiver to use as a prepro and see if you still have the problem. My apologies ahead of time if you have already done this.

Michael

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Michael,

Yes, i do run both analog L/R and a digital coax cable however, the analog L/R donot go to the tv at all. They go right from the SA3100HD box into my Ref50. My RP91 dvd player doesn't have any audio issues (only optical) and, my Panny high def sat box, no problems either. I was told this firmware upgrade would solve a so called compatibilty issue with my cable box (maybe because its newer and i got the first Ref50 from my dealer back in November 2002). I'm at a loss.. Thanks, i'll post this response over AVS too.

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Did Tweeters tell you this or did you speak directly with B&K?

5. Ron Hanson

Ron Hanson Agent

Many people report problems with this cable box and the B&K equipment. B&K will tell you the cable box is simply not following digital audio standards and they may be correct. That is why your other components dont have this problem. Not much you can do about it unless you can get a different cable box or change preamps that arn't as fussy with the digital signal levels.

Your analog signals will not have this problem. Which is why your Mitsubishi65413 didnt have the problem.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Donnie,

B&K told me this firmware upgrade would take care of this issue. Before i sent it in for the software change, i was at a loss. I had several Comcast guy's out here and basically, i new more than they did. Exercise in futility.. Comcast nor B&K would take the issue head on.

Ron,

It may just be the SA3100HD not following standards. Problem is, try and talk to someone at Comcast about that! It's just not happening. I have a buddy who runs this same cable box through a Denon receiver into a Pioneer Elite Pro520. He doesn't get the drops i do. Comcast is supposed to come out with a new box sometime in '04. I'm not sure what i'll do right now. What's funny is, i have another friend who lives about 1.5 miles away and he's got the Motorola HD box. I'm in Garden States area which for whatever reason means i have to use the SA3100HD receiver. It's a real pain-in-the-ass receiver with all it's issues including having to use analog L/R audio cables + digital coax.. my satelite box only needs an optical cable for all signals.

7. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Chip, I have a 307 receiver with the same cable box and virtually no problems. Occasionally, (two or three times every four hours or so) I get a short (one second) dropout, but thats it and it is not predictable when it will occur. Go figure. If my older B&K works this well with the Motorola decoder, I cannot understand why the Ref 50 has problems. I suspect it is the decoder.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Stephen,

I know those split second drops, i get those too. What happens with my rig is, it'll go into a fit of drops cutting out continuously for varying amounts of time then, be fine for varying amounts of time. It happens alot more on NBC hd & ABC hd but, does happen with other channels including HBOHD (happens alot less on HBOHD though). In fact, with NBCHD it most of the time locks default to stereo 7 instead of PLII. I have to manually throw it back to PLII + Movie 7. Then the fits begin usually... usually right when a key piece of dialog is being spoken.

Two things i did notice the 1.04 firmware did do was to lesson the crackling through my speaker when changing channels or sources and, because i run a 7.1 setup, it used to say "Surround + Movie7". It now says "Dolby Digital 7" (with a DD source).
    Maybe i should've stuck with my 307 i used to have [​IMG] I don't know where the fault lies... i do know i like having HD cable but i cannot afford to change processors. I have a nice setup and want to stick with it.

9. Sri

Sri Agent

Chip,
    I've a motorola HD box from Comcast and the audio drops for few seconds even when you are hear HD movies using TV speakers. I had Anthem AVM20 before and I experienced the same. I currently have B&K Ref 50 and it is still the same. Before I received the B&K I had the HD box connected directly to TV. So, I'm fairly confident it is not your Ref 50.

10. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Chip, I had a similar issue with my Anthem trying to lock on to the signal from my Mits integrated HD tuner. I found two fixes. One, was to use the XLR Balanced Digital Input and buy a $8 rca to xlr adaptor. Does the B&K have a Balanced Digital Input?

The second fix came about after we put a scope on the signal coming out of the digital spdif output of the TV. The signal is supposed to be AC coupled and was not. Putting a simple CAP on the end of the cable fixed it. Here is a picture of it:

[​IMG]

This made the signal AC coupled and poof..it worked and the Anthem locked in on the signal.