What's new

ref.level (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Dolby defines ref level as 105db of SPL from any single speaker (115db from the sub).

If you get a calibration DVD like Video Essentials or Avia:

On VE if you use their calibration tones, and set it so that every channel measures 75 on the meter- that is dolby ref level.

On AVIA if you use their calibration tones, and set it so that every channel measures 85 on the meter- that is dolby ref level.

It is just the allotted level dolby suggests for playback of their soundtracks.

-Vince

thanks vince. but does this mean that for me to get the most out of my onkyo 898 when watching a dvd i should turn it up until the volume control hits 83 that is when the volume number disapears and REF. LEVEL, APPEARS thanks steve

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Steven, I hope one of the admins can advise you how to reset your type size smaller...meanwhile,

Vince refers to Avia and Video Essentials which are special DVD test disks run in your DVD player to allow you to equalize your speaker sound output = mains, center, surrounds and subwoofer. The disks also have a video chapter that let you get the best possible picture from your tv monitor in a step by step process.

Since you may be starting out, I'd recommend the $15 Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up.

You also need to buy a $35 Radio Shack battery-operated sound pressure level meter.

Your Onkyo receiver manual will advise you how to set your volume when setting "reference" levels. I am not familiar with its scale.

Once you have balanced all the speakers, you can watch your DVDs at any volume level you like at home, which for most people is usually a little softer than the "reference" level you initially set up. The speakers will be balanced for all other sources, too -- CD music tv broadcast, VCR ...

(I dont want to lose this typing, so if you want more, I can give you an online link to the S&V disk).

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Steven,
Ref level measures output level. So, that spot on the volume knob is basically just a marketing gimmick-- it doesn't necessarily equate to anything.
Some receiver put that point in there so you can dial all your speakers with the master volume at that level- making it easier to remember where ref level is. However, as you might guess, higher volume might be needed in a larger room, and less volume might be needed in a smaller room. So when you measure with a meter, your volume knob might end up at 55, maybe at 07, and maybe at that ref point-- but it doesn't matter- the level of output is what matters.
So, again, ref level is all a measure of OUTPUT. The volume knob has no idea how big your room is, how far you are away, how sensitive your speakers are-- so the only real way to know what ref level is on your system is to get a calibration dvd like Avia or Video Essentials and use their tones.
-Vince

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Steven --

I've modified your posts so that the type is normal size. Please use the larger sizes for occasional emphasis, not for entire messages. Thanks.

M.

thanks Bill and Vince,Bill could you please send me that s & v link.once i have gotten use to this new rec. I will go and buy sound pressure meter but for now its all by ear.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Steven, first we welcome you to HTF!
At some point, you might tell us what equipment you are using -- not that we are snobbish -- but so we can get an idea of your needs. Sometimes there's a tendency to give people TMI (too much information). If you find it's fun to fiddle (tweak) your system, you'll have MONTHS of hobbying around.
Here's the S&V disk link click here
As noted, you may be able to find it at a nearby Barnes & Noble bookstore.
One other thing, your fine Onkyo will have built-in speaker output TEST TONES for use with the RS meter. They absolutely will calibrate your speakers and you can try it even tho you order a disk. Many find amp test tones some 2-3 decibels different than the disk. No big deal. Still, the the disk is preferred because it calibrates through your DVD player and lines everything up for Dolby Digital DVD movies.

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
will the sony ste835 (i think its ste) however the number is correct. I bought it 2 years ago its digital and dts. will it alow me to change reference levels and tweak it with an slp meter or do I need a higher end model.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
mike my fonts are still large,whats going on,HELP
Your user options were set to give you an arial font with size 5. I have reset your user options to standard. Please go to the Testing area and post a new message to confirm that the problem is fixed, and email me the result. Thanks.
M.

bill equipment list--onkyo-898,polk rt1000i,cs400i,fx500i,nuance booksheif for rears,omage 12 inch sub.(i am currently shopping for mew sub

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Steven,

If your 898 is like my 989, you have a choice of how the volume is represented, absolute or relative. I use relative.

I can set the Master Volume to "0" and then calibrate my speakers using the trim controls of each speaker channel. Thus, MV=0 becomes my reference level. (easy to remember)

If I were to use absolute, I think the volume range is 0 to 81 or so, and I couldn't use "0" for my ref level since louder is a higher number. Ref level would probably end up around 67.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks