Ref 50 Review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen M, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

I recently received an email from the Perfect Vision reviewing the B&K Ref 50 and matching amp. After reading the review I am somewhat confused and confounded. The reviewer gave high marks to the pre as far as features and user interface. It also was highly rated for dvd video performance. Surprisingly, based on a previous review in the magazine of the Ref 30, the reviewer thought SACD on the Ref 50 sounded great! But then, in evaluating the performance with two channel CD, the reviewer claimed the pre/pro sounded chalky and dry. Leaving aside for the moment what such terms mean, I am stumped how the reviewer could reach this conclusion. Both SACD and CD audio through a CD player go through the analog circuitry of the Ref 50. While it is quite possible that a SACD sounds better than CD due to superior technology or recording skill, I see no way to account for these differences in sound other than recording quality. Anyone have an opinion on this?

2. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

I did not read the review you are talking about, but from what you are saying, you are correct. Unless he was evaluating the CD via the Digital input. But if you have a good CD playing via Direct 2 channel, and in the same pre pro SACD/DVDA sounds great via 6 channel direct, I would think that the CD would be as good as the CD player is. If it was a bad CD player than it would be bad, good cd player would sound good and a great one would sound great.

I think it was the same magazine that rated the Marantz DV-8300 Very good in DVD-A, but bad in CD. Both of which, after the MLP codec, are PCM and would go through the same D-A converters...why would CD sound bad then? I can understand if he said CD and DVDA were good and SACD was bad. But not CD bad and DVDA good. Just does not make much sence..

This is why I do not put much weight into what reviewers say. I read a bunch, and that gives me a good place or list to start looking and listening for myself.

3. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Darnit, I thought this thread was a user review of the REf50! I am looking to buy and want real user opinions. I don't trust magazine reviews for the most part. I just find it hard to believe they can be unbiased. What can I say, I am very paranoid? [​IMG] What was that noise?![​IMG]

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

George,

There are many owner thoughts and reviews on this site and over at AVS. If you do a search, I am sure you will find quite a bit of information from BK's user base.

The price drop has made this piece a great buy compared to others in it's previous MSRP price range.

Much luck,
    Charles

5. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Thanks, guys, I ended up buying one yesterday and will probably have it the week after X-Mas. We'll see. I'll try to be patient.[​IMG]

7. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I would suggest going to the B&K website and downloading the software and users manual while you wait.[​IMG]