Reel.com mentions Wonka Petition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Illingworth II, Aug 16, 2001.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Some of you may read Jeff Wells' internet column, "Hollywood Confidential." In the latest at reel.com he devotes a few paragraphs to the Wonka debate and supports the petition. The word is slowly getting out.

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

deleted...
    [Edited last by DaViD Boulet on August 16, 2001 at 09:30 AM]

4. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

The real news here is, in my opinion, what J.M. Kenney said about the controversy:
    "There's so much material on this disc, I hope people will look at it as a whole."
    Huh? What does this mean? "Hey, filmlovers... try to ignore the fact that this is a bastardized version of a beloved classic. Just look at those extras!
    I'm frankly amazed at this. I know that sometimes journalists will only use the parts of quotes that fit their stories, but Jeffrey Walls was actually advocating the petition AND a widescreen version.
    If I had produced this, I would be furious. I would disown it to save my rep.
    ~Jamie

5. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

What can JM Kenney do? He's no doubt frustrated and disappointed by all this, but you want him to blacklist himself from Warner Bros.? No way, if there's any rep he's concerned about, it's his reputation as a PROFESSIONAL. He doesn't need to worry about his artistic rep. None of us are picking up discs just because JM Kenney produced them. 90% of the time I don't even know who produced them. I pick it up if its a movie I like and if there are some potentially interesting supplements on it.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I agree with David. Mr. Kenney is in a difficult position. He probably isn't happy that Warner did this without his input or knowledge, but he can't really publicly discourage people from buying it. Still, encouraging people to consider the supplements and downplaying the deficiency of the main feature is a little ridiculous. Likely the quote is somewhat taken out of context. I'd guess (hope?) that behind the scenes he's probably lobbied Warner to release a widescreen version.
    As has been stated many times, the best solution to satisfy everybody would be to make both versions available, either separately or in the same package. It's astounding that Warner doesn't seem to get this simple concept.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

8. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

9. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

10. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

11. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

I recall the chat we had with the producer of the Some Like it Hot SE. I forgot his name! Guess it's true the public doesnt care [​IMG]. Anywho, some questions were asked of him to put MGM in a bad light and he skirted them. He must like to work too [​IMG].
    I'd like to buy your work Mr. Kenny, but some knucklehead at WB only released it full frame and I DONT BUY FULL FRAME [​IMG]. Sorry.
    ------------------
    Dear WB : Release Wonka in Widescreen!
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner