What's new

Reefer Madness (Musical Version) - Odd Case (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone get the DVD of the musical version of REEFER MADNESS? Just out on Showtime DVD (it was a made for Showtime movie).

Great movie (even if it slows down in the finale), great cast (Kristen Bell of VERONICA MARS is especially good), some very memorable musical numbers.

But one odd thing, the DVD case.

I got it from Amazon and it was sealed, but first off it was brown, and then it smells like chocolate. Really strongly. And that isn't a good thing. Are they now making scented DVD cases?

As for the DVD itself, could have been better. Transfer is fine, the extras are the original film (public domain quality), and a commentary and short documentary on the making.

But, the chapter placement is terrible!! Shouldn't musicals have chapter stops before each number? Here, they are very random. Doesn't seem to be any reason for the placement.

Worth picking up, but that case thing is kind of odd.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Maybe lighting up a fat one might help you figure it out.;)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Just a suggestion.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just watched it this weekend. I still have the theme running through my head. I agree it got a bit slow towards the end - could have been cut down by about 10 minutes I think. But it's a fun show.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I bought the DVD and what IS up with the chocolate scented case? It's really strong too and I'm thinking of swapping it out.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
If you've got any of the "Book of the Dead" cases, just put it next to those. Maybe the smells will cancel each other out.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Mmm...nothing like chocolate and petroleum in the morning...

I was afraid you'd say "rotting corpse" or something.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
What's wrong with the smell of chocolate? As for me, I only rented the DVD from Netflix and the rented copy didn't smell like anything. I don't know if I'll buy it or not, because I didn't like the movie AT ALL, but I did enjoy the songs quite a bit.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actual chocolate? Not a thing. Synthetic scratch-and-sniff type gets old really fast.

The movie could have been trimmed by 10 minutes I think; the musical numbers are the best part.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes. It isn't a perfect film, but it has its moments.

For me, musicals are some of my most watched DVDs. It's easier to put on a DVD and watch just a musical number, than it is to get out a great film and watch it in its entirety.

REEFER MADNESS had enough great musical numbers that I'm sure I'll be rewatching parts of it more than of DVDs of films that I liked a lot more.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I thought this was a great spoof of the original film, but it sort of has to be watched in that context, or it would just seem stupid. I liked it a lot, personally. The songs were great and well-staged and the story was pretty funny, too.

Plus, Kristen Bell appeared in a dominatrix outfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks