Reefer Madness comments

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Corey Hall, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Did anyone get this? The colorization is TERRIBLE !!!! Not that I expected it to be good, but you'd expect improvements over the last 20 years. I don't care if this movie is laughable now, it still deserves some respect. Yes, I know that the B&W version is also on the disc, but not in conjunction with the Mike Nelson commentary, which is why I bought the disc. That's right, you can't watch the B&W version with Mike's commentary. I'm sorry, but that's bullsh*t. Also, did anyone catch the 4:20 subliminally inserted in the colorized version? That, along with the multi-colored "reefer" smoke, is just ridiculous. If you're buying this just for the commentary, I hope you can deal with one of the worst, no, THE worst 'restoration' committed to DVD. There, that's off my chest.

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I came close to picking this up yesterday just for the commentary and the black and white version, but now I'm glad I didn't.

3. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Oh man, after all that arguing I did with the colorization representative from that company here on these boards, I've got this to say...

I told you so.

Maybe now you've learned your lesson.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, from the captured on DVD Beaver, it looks incredibly well done.

Barry from Legend Films mentioned that they weren't going for a realistic look for the colorization, anyways. For a film like Reefer Madness, I think it actually works well.

Also, if you turn off the color, it appears to look like normal B&W. The picture still looks great if you do this... unlike a lot of the colorizations that end up looking washed out or too dark.

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Devil's advocate reporting here...

The colorization is very tongue in cheek, and the B&W version is very clean, considering the age and reputation of the film, and I've seen some pretty bad tapes and 16mm prints. It's no NOLD as far as source material goes, but it's pretty darn good.

Mike Nelson's sarcastic commentary is hilarious (reminiscent of Weird Al YAnkovic discussing his videos on the WAL:Live! DVD), and I've never had the chance to see MST3K. What do you expect when the roles of teenagers are played by people who could be their parents?

The movie is dirt cheap by new catalogue standards (I paid $12 CDN), and was more interested in the B&W version anyway. Watching the colorized version afterward and listening to Mike was a a humorously hallucinogenic experince.

6. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

Awesome! That's exactly why I'm buying this colorized version (that, and the Mike commentary and the fact that the original B&W is on it, of course). I knew that the colorization would make the movie look trippy as hell, and it sounds like I won't be disappointed. Multi-colored smoke? Neat! Looking forward to getting mine in the mail.

7. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

"We now return to Colorization Theater!"

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Seems like some people can't tell a joke from a hole in the ground. Really, the colorization isn't to be taken seriously AT ALL.

9. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Do you know what HTF stand for, in terms of film treatment? Are you supporting colorization? If so, then you're going against these goals. I can tell a joke from a hole in the ground, I just take movies and how they're treated seriously.

10. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

How would that be, when the original B&W version is present on the disc? One has to wonder if you freak out whenever an old movie is released with both its original soundtrack and a 5.1 remix...

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm really not too concerned about them doing the colorization since it's intended to be an additionally campy aspect, and making this look like a 1930s picture postcard isn't that big a deal, since there are tons of other versions, plus the original B&W here in an equally nice print. The 5.1 and DTS sound on the colorized version isn't good either, and the mono on the original B&W is much preferable.

What does concern me is that the commentary from the colorizers indicates that they are working on doing the same thing for the four Stooges PD shorts and some other material, for which it's wholly inappropriate.

The Nelson commentary is a hoot, though. My review at dOc:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=5904

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

It's one thing to colorize Casablanca or Citizen Kane and then only release in colorized versions to DVD.

It's another to colorize a cheap exploitation film and provide both versions.

Should we be totally panning Legend Films' DVD's just because they have colorized versions, even with B&W also provided? I think not. That's just pointless.

13. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

My point is, the only reason I bought this is for Mike Nelson's commentary. I would like to watch it in b&w with the commentary. That is not available. That is not right. I am not messing with my color settings on my TV. Who cares if it's a crappy movie. It's a movie. It deserves some respect. Not to be made a joke of. The humor of the movie is the inadvertant humor. It wasn't made as a comedy, but became humorous. Like most MST3K movies. You don't need to make a joke out of the movie and add subliminal weed jokes. If this had happened to Citizen Kane or Seven Samurai, you all would be pissed, but since it's just Reefer Madness, it's ok. All movies should be treated with the same amount of respect. Making the original available doesn't make it ok. Legend still did a wrong to this film and they don't deserve praise for it. And, yeah, I got the joke, it just wasn't very funny. Like a Holocaust joke, you can get it, but they just aren't funny.

14. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    OK, Corey, you're comparing Reefer Madness to Citizen Kane and Seven Samurai, and you still expect us to take you seriously? I'm not one to advocate the use of illegal substances, but in your case I'll make an exception.

15. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

I'm not comparing the quality of the movies, just the fact that all movies deserve respect.

16. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

OK, now you lost me.

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I agree. Colorization is fundamental changing of a film. I am against colorization under any circumstances.

18. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Thank you Jeff. Someone finally understands. Read the previous sentence from that post, maybe, just maybe you'll get the analogy. I'm not too optimistic though.

19. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

And a sarcastic MST3K-style commentary is your idea of 'respect'?????

20. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Also agreed.