1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Redux - framing screenshots

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

I decided to check the 2.0:1 framing of Apocalypse Now Redux to its original 2.35 composed frame.
    I used the trailer included on the DVD.
    The results were disheartening...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have 15 more screenshots here

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Ouch! Those screen shots are a good example of why cropping a movie is just as bad as pan&scan. This concept of 2:1 as a standard (see link in the original post) is simply ridiculous IMO.

If I had known this I probably would not have bought the DVD. Luckily I have not had a chance to watch it yet, so it is still sealed, maybe I should just return it!

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The DOP shot the film with 2:1 in mind with a full availible picture of 2.35:1.

4. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Storaro and Coppola did NOT compose AN for 2.0

Storaro has made this decision in the last few years to re-format his ORIGINAL 2.35:1 frame to 2.0 for TV

newer films he has shot HAVE been composed for 2.0 - Picking up the pieces, etc.

AN and Tucker, however, were NOT composed for the 2.0 ratio and should be released in their full ratios. Shame on Coppola for going along with this foolishness.

Please look at the panning and scanning on the tucker end credits and tell me they MEANT that...

5. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Moe's right. AN was composed and shot in 2.35... this 2:1 reframing was an afterthought by Storaro which he adopted and forced onto Tucker and AN.

Redux's transfer and color pallette are outstanding, but there is definite picture information that is missing.

6. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

After watching Redux, and liking what Copolla has tried to do with the film dramatically (I always felt the movie until Redux to be too distant) I was really pissed to watch the trailer in it's 2.35 glory. Storaro is senile if he believes that he framed this film for a 2.1 transfer. The whole thing feels like you're watching it in a shoebox. There's no breathing room on the sides of the framed, everyone is cramped. I'll give him some leeway on a couple of wide establishing shots that keep the subject enough in the middle not to lose effect, but the rest of it is severly butchered.

For the guy who said that AN would be fine framed 1.66, you're, well no offense a little off.

7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    How can Storarro (and/or Coppola) say the film was "composed for 2.0"? In the example above, one of seven helicopters is completely MISSING! If this was the intent from the outset, Storarro is a much lesser DOP than I'd thought. Further, as pointed out above, there are shots throughout the film in which characters (even ones speaking) are cut in half. 2.0 might have been a good compromise for VHS, but for DVD it is a pitiful choice and I too am severely disappointed with Coppola for allowing one of his three or four finest works be massacred by the musings of a brain-dead DOP.