Reduce Shipping Cost...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce_S, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I've been doing alot of shipping thru USPS. I'm wondering there are alternative shipping companies - I should consider using to reduce the cost shipping.

For example, I shipped out four PS2 games (about 2.3lbs) to MN and it cost me almost $7 using priority with delivery confirmation.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

bruce

2. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I do a lot of business on Ebay for various clients and my experiences have been that the heavier the package the better off you are sending it by a carrier other than USPS.

But it is really a hit and miss ... depending on the package, weight and destination.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm with aurel.
    if it fits in one of those free priority boxes, it's going to be cheaper USPS, ups can't ship a package anywhere for under 5 bucks in my experience, but the darn USPS keeps raising the priority rates, now I think it's what, 4.80? too much, IMO but it gets there in 3 days vs likely more with ups

I have never shipped fedex ground, but they've been great every time I have rec'd something from them, maybe they have an estimator on their website..?

the biggest rip off? those express envelopes USPS has. $13 for "next day" service but only guaranteed second day, first class mail gets it there third day 90% of the time for 30 some cents. I feel gipped [​IMG]

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    If you have a scale or know the approximate weight of the item, you can print a shipping label for USPS Priority on their website with FREE Delivery Confirmation.

You can also buy postage online for those labels (you'd need a scale unless you use flat-rate envelopes), but anything over 16 oz must be weighed at the time it is acceptted by a postal employee.

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

6. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Have you thought of using USPS media mail? Games, movies and books get there in a week. I dont think you can get delivery confirmation though.