Redirecting Spam

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Overholt, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm sure no one here likes getting this junk, but when I woke up (before I had my coffee fix) I thought that if I could get one legitimate reply address I could just send them ALL of my spam.

Then I got carried away and wondered if we could 'publish' the spam address of the week and have all 10k+ of us do that too.

Any way? Or do I need to drink a second cup?

Glenn

2. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

I don't know if it's possible either, but I like the way you're thinking Glenn. Sometimes, when I can determine what the return email address is (it's usually hidden), I create a contact distribution list and send the spammer thousands of emails requesting to be deleted from their mailing list. I'm sure it does no good at all, but it gives me a much needed sense of revenge.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

That's probably the reason spammers don't reveal their "actual" email address--if they even have one, that is. They use bulk mailing programs that send, but not receive mail, so they don't even need an email account to send spam. All they need is an internet connection and (perhaps) a SMTP server that allows relaying--and that just makes the spammer's life easier. When an ISP shuts down their account, they just find/open another one.
    I think all the hackers that exploit security holes in systems to break into them should look for and exploit security holes in SPAMMER's systems. Especially if they can get in and destroy the mailing lists. That's about as close to "two wrongs making a right" as I can come up with. [​IMG]
    KJP

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

If your mail is on a unix server, see if they have procmail installed. You can write some mail handling recepies to reduce the amount of spam you get. If you're friends with the administrators, see if they can install SpamAssassin for you. Its a free perl module for spam control. I installed it last night, and its worked wonders so far, nabbing 5 messages that were spam. It missed one, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it catch that spam from now on.

5. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Not to mention many spammers just pick somebody else's e-mail address to impersonate as the sender of their junk. I just recently found out this has happened to me when I started getting returned mail error messages from SPAM that I most definitely did not send.

I am seriously considering dumping my yahoo address because of this. I hate that people are getting junkmail with my name as the sender!