Redbook CD playback on Sony 222es and Denon 370?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Apr 5, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith or anyone:

Is the redbook CD playback on the Sony 222es comparable or superior to that of the Denon DCM-370? If the Sony can match or exceed the Denon, then I will be ordering a 222es in the coming weeks (The 222es has now moved closer into my price range - around 350.00). Any observations would be welcome.

Thanks,

Reggie

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I haven't done a head to head comparison, but I have listened to both and I've owned the 222ES. They are very similiar in playback quality, with the Denon being a little warmer.

If you are deciding between the two, then IMO, the 222ES is a no-brainer, especially at the price it's at now, because you pick up SACD capability.

Good luck,

DJ

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I have both players in question, but they are not set up in the same room, so I haven't compared them side-by-side. The Denon is in my main system and is used almost exclusively for recording CDs to minidiscs. The Sony is my newest addition and is in my second system. I do, however, agree with David's assessment. I have the Denon and Sony 'C555ES in the same system, and I would characterize the Denon as warmer. However, the Denon is not nearly as dynamic and engaging as the 'C555ES. The Denon is warm in the vocals (I don't consider the 'C555ES to be harsh), but it tends to smear everything in comparison to the 'C555ES. The Sony projects a wider soundstage and more layered sound. With the 'C555ES, I hear more of the music. The Denon is very good for $250, but the 'C555ES is definitely better. Based on my experience with the Denon '370 and Sony ES SACD changers, it wouldn't surprise me if the '370 were warmer, but I would expect the 'C222ES to be better overall with CDs. And, as David indicated, you get stereo and multi-channel SACD playback with the 'C222ES.

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks.

Well, the 222es it is then! It's funny....I went from the Sony 500, to awaiting its replacement 755, and will now end up with an ES-series changer! When I expressed to Keith my interest in the Sony 500 a mere three weeks ago for SACD and for use as a back-up DVD video player, the 222es was still a 525.00-600.00 player (out of my price range). Once the price drop occured, I then began to consider the 222es. I will probably pick it up by the end of the month if all goes well, and who knows, the price may drop a little more by then again. As far as DVD-A goes, I hear that the new Denon's really excell in the audio department. Many have even said that the DVD-A playback on the Denon 1600 is among the best they've heard, and if this is the case, the 3800 & 9000 should be superb. I am considering a DVD-3800 to replace my JVC 721BK possibly this summer, despite a "slight" presence of the chroma bug. I've heard it ranges from player to player, but I am told that many tend to over-state its presence. I'll probably keep the JVC in my system as a secondary back-up unit just in case, as I believe the progressive image on this JVC is outstanding from what I've seen.

Reg

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, if you have a Tweeter store in your area, you might want to listen to the Denon and Sony 'C222ES just to be sure that the 'C222ES is the right player for you. Maybe Good Guys has both players? As I said, I would expect the 'C222ES to be the better player. Of course, the Denon wouldn't give you SACD, which makes the 'C222ES compelling to my mind. Best of luck in your search.

6. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Sorry to ask a stupid question but what is 'redbook'?

Thanks

Marc

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marc, "redbook" refers to the standard CD we are all familiar with. The original protocol for the CD format was published in a red book, hence the term "redbook".

8. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Reggie,
    If you do decide to pick up the 222ES, you might wish to consider having it modded. I'm told the sound from the analog outputs can be further improved (by a good bit) by replacing some parts.
    You could do a search at Audio Asylum's Hi-Rez Highway (Hi-Rez Hwy) to find out who's modding the 222ES.
    M

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, fair point about the modding. I have not heard a modded SACD player, but many people on Audio Asylum swear by having mods done. However, it is important to note that these mods void the Sony warranty.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

While I know it technically does void the warranty, I wonder if in practice it still wouldn't be fixed if a retailer is doing the service. After all, they simply call Sony for authorization to repair and it is done by techs who might not even notice. Even if they did, as long as Sony is paying for it(since Sony wouldn't know mods were done)they would probably still perform the service as long as the malfunction wasn't due to the mods.

I'll have to ask our service dept. about that.

DJ

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, let me know what you find out at your store, as you have me curious. I was considering the scenario where someone sent a modded player to a Sony repair facility. A lot of consumers send components directly to Sony for repair. It is possible that some electronics repair shops will send components to Sony if the repair work is involved. I could easily see Sony sending the component back to the consumer as is once a technician noticed that there were foreign parts inside.

12. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Yeah, if it was sent to Sony then I'm sure it would be a no-go. It would definitely be a risk.

I'll let you know what I find out from our repair techs.

DJ