Red Violin, US version

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Max Leung, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Anyone else besides me disappointed with the transfer of this film? I borrowed it from a friend who had the foresight to get the US version (16x9 anamorphic, DTS) over the crappy Canadian 4x3 pan&scam version.

At least EE wasn't too apparent, but I found the image very soft, like everything was out of focus. However, I want to rule out problems with my Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector or my Theatertek DVD player. Also there wasn't very much depth to the image. Rather flat, really.

Anyone else concur?

2. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I'll go along with that

Although I'm watching it on a 56" widescreen, it still isn't up to par with some of the later releases in terms of clarity and detail. But keep in mind this title has been around for a couple of years. DVD authoring has gotten a little better here lately.

3. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Which US version did you get?

The original release by Universal? (review)
    or the new release by Lions Gate? (review)

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The lack of DTS is sad, but what really bums me out about the new release is that it has those "always on" subtitles...even for the English-spoken parts.

Does anyone have the previous DTS version who is wanting to part with it? I never picked this title up and would love to have it in DTS.

5. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

As I was reading the review of the second release about the superiority of the video transfer, I was all set to dump my old version and get the new. Then I read about the subtitle snafu and I changed my mind.

And now I feel like watching the movie again, as I haven't seen it in over a couple of years. Thanks!

6. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

^ same here... Too bad they can't get their acts together and give us a definitive version. [​IMG]

7. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Brilliant film, and one of my first-ever purchases on DVD. Hadn't heard about a newer, supposedly better video Lion's Gate release. That's okay, though--most of the beauty is in the stunning soundtrack, anyway.

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I'm more than happy with the Universal release. Great transfer and fantastic sound for such a wonderful film.

I have a hard time trusting releases from Lion's Gate and Alliance anyways.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Universal release is problematic on many Progressive scan players. Looks great on interlaced players and Faroudja chip equipped progressive scan player but really bad on most progressive scan players.

I have JVC and Panny Faroudja chip players, and Red Violin when played on the JVC is nasty. That player has a light that glows green for film based and red for video based material, and it shifts from green to red constantly during the movie. On the Panny it looks very nice.

I played it several times on Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic interlaced players before I got an HD-ready tv, and it looked fine on my analog rptv.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm. The borrowed disc has a small Universal on the front cover, at the bottom right corner. The spine has a Lions Gate Films logo at the bottom. The DVD number is 20676.

The date on the bottom of the DVD back cover says 1999 (the movie date says 1998 in the credit portion of the back cover).

Strange, how both reviews praise the video. I don't get it...it didn't look anything as good as they suggest. Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to lower-standards at the times of review. [​IMG]

Also, some scenes I see some "ghosting". For example, in the scenes in China, when a person walks across a portion of the screen, I would see their afterimage trailing them for a frame or two. Very strange. Could be a problem with Theatertek's deinterlacing, as I had it set to Auto. Or rather, a problem with the DVD mastering?

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed that the new release lacks DTS. So I must have seen the old version. The DTS track is very nice, I'll admit. But, it probably won't make much difference if they used the same audio master.

11. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

If I recall correctly, Lion's Gate just bought back(?) the rights to several of their films that Universal had and apparently a few new issues are coming out soon.

Hopefully this will include The Red Violin. Considering it's mostly a Canadian film, I'm pissed off that Alliance did such a lousy dvd.

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Bump.

13. donnie_d

donnie_d Stunt Coordinator

14. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I wonder what the Meridian Collection is (at the top of the box cover art).

15. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

16. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thx, Sten. I sometimes forget that Google is my friend. [​IMG]

Lionsgate to launch art-house DVD label

Might you have a link to the piece it seems like you're quoting. I think it's more accurate to say Lionsgate has distribution rights to some titles in the Studio Canal library. I don't think LG owns SC.

18. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    I guess the rumored Criterion of Diva is off then.