Red Spot 47wx42

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Jin, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

(I'm sorry, I posted this to the wrong forum.)

I have a Panny PT47wx42. Its not even a month old. There is a big red spot in the middle of the picture. It looks like something happened.

After I turned off the TV, I noticed a flash on the screen. When I turned it back on, the spot was there.

Please help.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

You may have gotten the evil pop. Call Panasonic for a warranty fix or checkout www.panny.tv and look in the tweaks section for the fix.

Kevin

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Yeah, first thing tomorrow, I have to call.

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Panasonic referred me to an local dealer (Adam's Electronic). They are supposed to come out on Monday to repair the tv. I will update this thread of what ends up happening.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If it's just a red spot in the middle, then it's probably not the "evil pop". The evil pop affects greyscale and would have a uniform effect on blacks/greys/whites.

If this spot is always there, I suspect the TV is damaged and might very well require some serious repair. If I were you, I'd try getting it replaced by the dealer.

_Man_

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Yeah, lets see what happens on Monday. It seems like something poped and splatter on the screen.

I will keep this thread updated.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

How many of you remember the old black and white TV's on which, at the moment you turn them off, the picture shrinks into a tiny tremendously bright spot in the middle of the screen and the spot gradually fades?

Heaven forbid, maybe that happened to your green gun (CRT) (the blue also?) burning the extreme center, and now the green (and blue?) gun behaves as if it had a big dead pixel dead center and the spot appears reddish because only the red and perhaps the blue gun(s) contribute to the illumination at that spot.

Modern TV's should ahve circuits that kill the electron beam when the horizontal and/or vertical sweep is lost so that kind of screen burn cannot happen.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Here is an update. The tech just left and ordering a new green gun. It seems like the Green gun got burnt in. He be back on Saturday to replace it.

Here is my question. I brought it directly from Panasonic. Should I try to see if they can replace the TV for me since I've only had it for less than a month?

9. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I've had no luck with Panasonic at getting my TV replace. So, I wait for the the gun to be replace. Hopefully, Saturday. After I get the green gun replace, do I need to calibrate the TV again with Avia?

10. Allan Jayne

The tech ought to inspect the circuitry. Otherwise the new green gun could get burned like the previous.

Convergence and geomerty will need to be recalibrated.d

11. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Thanks.

How much is it to replace the guns?

12. Allan Jayne

The TV all by itself made some kind of sparking and then you see this reddish spot in the middle. You owned it for just a month.

That being the case it should not cost you anything to get it fixed regardless of how many or how few guns are replaced.

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    From what I'm hearing, IF it was no longer under warranty and you need to pay for it yourself, each gun costs ~$500(!) to replace, and that might not include labor cost either.

_Man_

14. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Here is an update:

The tech came out yesterday with a new green gun. He showed me the gun that was defected. It seems like something fell off on the gun.

He hook half hour at replacing the part and hook 2 more hours calibrating the convergence and geomerty for 1080i and etc.

Thanks Steve (Adams Electronics)