What's new

Red Sparrow (2018)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Title: Red Sparrow (2018)

Tagline: Seduce. Deceive. Repeat.

Genre: Mystery, Thriller

Director: Francis Lawrence

Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Charlotte Rampling, Jeremy Irons, Ciarán Hinds, Joely Richardson, Mary-Louise Parker, Bill Camp, Douglas Hodge, Thekla Reuten, Sakina Jaffrey, Sergei Polunin, Kristof Konrad, Nicole O'Neill, Sergej Onopko, David Z. Miller, Sasha Frolova, Hugh Quarshie, Sebastian Hülk, Joel de la Fuente, Judit Rezes, Makar Zaporozhskiy, Tom Morley, Louis Hofmann, Ingeborga Dapkūnaitė, Chris O'Hara, Kata Pálfi, Karen Gagnon, Zsolt Vicei, Anger Zsolt, Attila Árpa, Simon Szabó, Judit Viktor, Bálint Adorjáni, Kincső Pethő

Release: 2018-02-28

Runtime: 140

Plot: Prima ballerina, Dominika Egorova faces a bleak and uncertain future after she suffers an injury that ends her career. She soon turns to Sparrow School, a secret intelligence service that trains exceptional young people to use their minds and bodies as weapons. Dominika emerges as the most dangerous Sparrow after completing the sadistic training process. As she comes to terms with her new abilities, she meets a CIA agent who tries to convince her that he is the only person she can trust.

Checked out “Red Sparrow” (Thanks, #MoviePass!). Definitely some R-rated scenes and content in the film, much more racy and sometimes brutal (don’t expect Hunger Games style of young adult fare). Not as “Black Widow” as the trailers would suggest. It feels a little long at 140 minutes, but it takes its time to develop things at a decent pace.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I can't figure out how they know... I just purchase the ticket and all theaters have an outside the theater credit card swipe on purchase; they never see my card.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I used MP at Studio Movie Grill since they offer E-ticketing, and it was easy to reserve a seat at SMG via MP. It looks like I wasn't in a targeted location. Ah well, interesting times.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This was my #MoviePass for Saturday. I was fascinated by the story, the depth and the misdirects throughout. I enjoyed the time it took to tell a compelling story. My wife thought it was boring.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just saw this. The movie is ok, it's way over the top. There is no way you can explain the main character's motivation. It's way unrealistic.

There is absolutely no justification or any motif for her to be working for the US. And this happens so fast and before she falls in love or anything.

There was only 2 believable scenarios. 1- She work as a double agent and always stay a Russian agent and work against CIA. That's what I thought they are doing but I guess they wanted a happy ending.

2- if they wanted to keep the happy ending the only explanation for her behavior would have been if her uncle was the mole and he arranged all this for both of them to work for the US. That's a lot more believable

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The trailer didnt grab me, it looked like a Femme Nikita knock off. And the poor reviews kept me away awhile. But I finally caught this recently on HBO.

To my surprise I really liked this film.

Yes, its a little slow at first, and a bit brutal and off putting. But it didnt feel exploitative and served Lawrence's character and the plot well.

Once she is out of Sparrow school I found the film to be quite a tense and intriguing spy story. With a great payoff in the end.

And I thought Lawrence gave a hell of a performance.

I only partially guessed the ending, there were a few well earned surprises.

Overall, perhaps due to such low expectations going in, I found myself pleasantly surprised.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Her motivation for working with the US is...

Between being told that the government will abandon her since she can no longer dance, and the horrors and humiliation she endures in Sparrow school, she has lost any sense of patriotism towards Russia. The problem is that while she wants out, shes not willing to abandon her sick mother.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been reluctant to sit down and watch this because I just don't think that Jennifer Lawrence is a very good actor. She was pretty convincing in Winter's Bone, but IMO it's been all down hill from there. She's marketable, but that's about it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought this film was pretty bad. As I said I thought it was a totally dull unpleasant meandering film.
Bought it blind unfortunately. :(

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I thought this film was pretty bad. As I said I thought it was a totally dull unpleasant meandering film.
Bought it blind unfortunately. :(
I didn't and don't find the film at all dull. It does meander but that's because the film makers wanted to include the scenes at the training school which are spicy and salacious but totally irrelevant to the rest of the movie. Like dpippel, I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is much of an actress but she does have a compelling persona on screen and that's what holds this film together.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks