What's new

Red Sox WS DVD series....When will the NFL catch on? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I noticed on Amazon that there is a huge Red Sox ALCS and WLS set coming out that has all 11 games..complete without commercials. The NBA has already accomplished this!

When will the NFL catch on to this and release games in the same fashion?

I'd love to see some complete games instead of NFL films cut and edited with narration.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Patriots have DVD sets for the 2003 and 2004 postseasons. The 2004 set has all three games; I don't remember whether the 2003 set has all three games in full or just the Super Bowl.

They're called Three Games To Glory II and III. (Part I was for the 2001 postseason, but I don't think it had the complete games -- just highlights.)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Geez I'm not sure I'd want to watch the first 3 games again against the Yanks, Especially the 3rd one.

Blu

Screenwriter
I mean who wouldn't want to see some of the greatest NFL games of all time???

Well the full, broadcast games anyway.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I've wondered the same thing for years about the NFL games on DVD (entire games, not the highlight DVDs). The ony place I've been able to get them is on eBay but I'd much rather buy any official version.

Randy_Cre

Agent
It won't catch on as long as Steve Sabol of NFL Films has any say in it. He's decreed that fans have no interest in watching complete games, even classics like The Catch or the The Drive. As long as Sabol, protecting his NFL Films' fortune, can keep the NFL convinced that its not sitting on a lot of income selling classic games or Super Bowls (I don't count the recent releases of the last few SBs since they edited the games down to an hour by cutting out huddles, kickoffs and other extraneous plays, and dubbed in radio audio).

Thankfully there's a thriving cult of collectors/archivists/fans who have built a healthy hobby of old games on tape and DVD so excellent quality copies of games like Super Bowl III from 1968/69 exist with original commercials, pre-game, commentary etc.

I will say that the better quality copies are rarely on eBay, usually they're in the hands of collectors who only trade rather than trying to make a bunch of money off their copies on eBay.

But as long as the NFL continues to believe the only way to market itself on video is through stylized edited NFL Films stuff, I'm content with the huge supply on 'un-official' games floating around in trading circles.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm very surprised that the complete games aren't marketed by the NFL. They're definitely sitting on a very large Gold Mine. Strange that Steve Sabol would believe otherwise :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks