What's new

Red Sox Manager Jimy Williams....FIRED!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
So, what do you all think?
Personally, as a Red Sox fan, he's made some strange moves over the last few years. I think maybe they should have let him finish the year.
His latest bad move was not letting Urbina close out the ninth inning in the first game against Seattle in this current series.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
This is truely a disgraceful move.
The Sox have absolutely no hitting besides Manny and Nomar, yet Duquette did nothing. They can't beat even the lowest ranked lefties b/c Nixon and Daubach can't hit lefties and their replacement are just as worthless on those days.
Without his starting
Catcher (70+% season)
Shortstop (60% season)
Third Baseman (Entire Season)
Centerfielder (1+ month)
and
Cy Young starter (2.5 months)
#5 Starter (2 months)
the team is just 2 back in the wild card and 5 in the division. No other manager could have done any better. The team needed a lefty and righty in the bullpen and a DH/RF. Duquette only got a righty and that is why they keep losing 6-3, 5-2, 7-0, 3-1, etc. They just don't have enough hitters to produce any sort of run support.
[Edited last by Joseph S on August 16, 2001 at 12:47 PM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Good Move in my opinion, for a number of reasons.
1. Jimy and Duquette HATE each other. No, hate isnt a strong enough word. Jimy was gone at the end of the year; hell, its widely rumored that he's been trying to get himself fired.
2. The situation with Izzy Whateverhislastnameis. This guy is incredible. But, Jimy doesn't like him, so he leaves him in the minors. Duquette says to pull him up, especially now when the Sox need him most. Maybe now, we'll see Izzy.
3. Crazy last-minute lineup changes. Jimy is notorious for this. If the Sox lose a few in a row, he completely mucks around with the lineup. Why the hell is Nomar batting leadoff right now?!? Why Jimy?
The whole WilliamsDuquette fiasco started last year when Carl Everett (see other thread in After Hours) basically went off on Jimy in front of the other players. Duquette stood by Everett, saying that on the field performance is what matters. Jimy disagreed. The whole thing went to hell from there.
Earlier this year, Jimy took Pedro out a game against the Yankees for reasons that don't make alot of sense. Duquette asked Jimy to tell all the Red Sox fans why he did this. Jimy said he would not.
The issue with these two (known as the Duke and the Goob here in Boston) is that earlier in the year, neither of them had a contract for next year. Well that changed a few weeks ago when Duquette signed an extension. That basically sealed the fate for Jimy.
As far as the sox having "no hitting" besides Manny and Nomar, thats not true. Bichette is hitting .300; Nixon is hitting close to .300; Stynes is close to .300.
[Edited last by Steven K on August 16, 2001 at 01:17 PM]

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
2. The situation with Izzy Whateverhislastnameis. This guy is incredible. But, Jimy doesn't like him, so he leaves him in the minors. Duquette says to pull him up, especially now when the Sox need him most. Maybe now, we'll see Izzy.
No, Izzy was not called up because if they did they would lose him when he needed to be sent down as players returned from the DL. Izzy will be called up on Sept. 1.
quote: 3. Crazy last-minute lineup changes. Jimy is notorious for this. If the Sox lose a few in a row, he completely mucks around with the lineup. Why the hell is Nomar batting leadoff right now?!? Why Jimy?
Nomar was the best leadoff hitter in the league his rookie year. The crazy lineups have worked. Lansing hit 3 HR in two games subbing for the resting Nomar. Hatteberg hit .400 batting 2nd when they needed him. He needs these crazy lineups to try to maximize hitting with a non hitting lineup.
[Edited last by Joseph S on August 16, 2001 at 01:26 PM]

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Bichette is hitting .300; Nixon is hitting close to .300; Stynes is close to .300.
Dante Bichette since the All-Star break has hit .213, 2 HR, and 8 RBI. For the year he has only 10 HR(less than O'Leary) and a lowly 41 RBI.(Same as O'Leary)
Nixon is hitting .203 against lefties.
Stynes has missed half the season thanks to two stints on the DL.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I hope now that the team responds to this firing, and they light a fire under their own asses. I think this team has the tools, but there has been something amiss lately.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
This just in:
Pitching coach Joe Kerrigan takes over as the next manager of the Red Sox and has signed a two year deal in that capacity.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I hope now that the team responds to this firing, and they light a fire under their own asses.
That's precisely why he was fired. Stretch run managerial/coach firings do have a history of doing just as you've suggested. Hell, Larry Robinson won the Stanley Cup as a late season replacement.
Plus, having your GM hate you with a white hot passion doesn't help. :)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Yes, you are right in that since the All Star break, the Sox have been hitting poorly. The potential is there, its just not being utilized right now.
I still think getting rid of Jimy was the right thing to do. Something had to be done. Izzy wasn't going to be called up if Williams was around. Williams had a habit of taking Pedro out of the game at all the wrong times. Perfect example of this: earlier this year I went to the SoxYanks game in which Pedro started (actually, it was Pedro's last game, strangely enough). Pedro pitched a shutout for 8 innings with a 3 run lead. Jimy rewards Pedro by taking him out for the 9th inning. And of course, who does he put in. Yup, you guessed it, Derick Lowe. Needless to say, Lowe almost blew the game for the Sox.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well the season is over.
frown.gif

Joe Kerrigan just topped off his disgraceful reign by leaving Cal Ripken on deck with a 4 run lead, 2 outs, and 13+ games out of the race. Dan Duquette sent the team into a downward spiral that lead to national stories of the chaos and pathetic play that took place following the firing of Jimy. He has cost them their pitching coach and any shot of re-signing Nomo as well. Now that they are soon to be unemployed...
I'm officially petitioning the soon-to-be announced new owners of the Red Sox to bring back Jimy and his wacky winning ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I was no fan of Jimy, but it appears that the Red Soxs' problems are alot deeper than not having a good manager. I think that injuries ultimately plagued the Sox this year. Face it, they lost all of their key players at some point, and the Carl Everett situation didn't help. (goodbye Carl, don't evern come back here)

bill lopez

Second Unit
Boston Red Sox at least have an ownership that even with a small ballpark they go out and sign big name free agents,unlike here in Chicago where the Cubs spend money on bench players Matt Stairs & Ron Comer instead of Manny Ramierz.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Boston Red Sox at least have an ownership
Well, they don't really have an owner at the moment. It's a trust under management that will be expiring soon. There's a bidding process underway now. I hope they get a new owner soon, a new GM, new manager, new Ballpark, new DH, new RF/CF, new 2B, new bullpen, new starting rotation, new broadcaster to replace Don Orsillo(a new and bad replacement for Kurtz) and so on
Oh yeah, Sox fans were actually dying for them to get both Stairs(again) and Coomer just 2 years ago. I'll be happy with Bonds and Park signings this year.
biggrin.gif
(Greedy, huh?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks