What's new

Red Sox Fans Unite! and then weep... (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it is, in part - CHB is one of the interviewees.

::sigh:: Seeing this reminds me that I probably missed ESPN's "The Teammates", about Williams, Pesky, and Dom DiMaggio. This thing is just going to help perpetuate the innacurate stereotype that Red Sox fans are self-flaggellating fatalists.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm not a Red Sox fan (but I am definitely anti-Yankee*) but I do root for them when they're in a playoff race and this sounds interesting. I'll definitely be watching it. Thanks for the head's up.

*No, I'm not just trying to get on the Red Sox fans' good side, I really am anti-Yankee. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Aren't we?
There are some, sure, especially some of the ones who come from New York, or otherwise adopted the Sox just to have outsider cred. But the majority of the fans I know (and I include myself among this number) are just the opposite - we are ridiculously optimistic, honestly believing that This Will Be The Year until the very last second. Most of the time, we're too busy enjoying what we see from Nomar, Pedro, and company to worry about what happened 80 years ago.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

"The Teammates" is a book by David Halberstram that I am going to pick up. I was unaware that this was a TV program.

This thing is just going to help perpetuate the innacurate stereotype that Red Sox fans are self-flaggellating fatalists. [/q]

Jason has a point that Sox Fans are rediculously optimistic, but that mentality seems to fade away as the season progresses. Most Sox fans that I know always have doubt in their minds. My brother is a prime example. he is a 40 year Sox fan. If the Red Sox are winning 20-1 one night, before the game is even over, he'll say "Watch, they'll lose tomorrow 1-0." It's sick, but the majority of the fans I know here in CT, as well as those I encountered in my 6 years in Boston, are like this. New Englanders are typically like this with all their teams, and their superstitiousness is legendary! My brother sat in the same seat and wore the same clothes throughout the '86 series. He claims to have moved just prior to the ball going through Buckner's legs. I myself rode an excercise bike in front of the TV throughout the '86 series because that was what I was doing when Hendu hit the HR in the ALCS. I'M AN IDIOT, I KNOW! I can't recall if I moved or not. I blocked it out.

I even attempt to use false optimism at times. Such as cheering when a pitcher comes into the game from the bullpen ready to take his beating. On the whole, I try to to be optimistic but also realistic.

I don't believe in the curse, but I believe that I'm tired of seeing the Red Sox lose out in the end. But you never know, this could be the year...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If the Red Sox are winning 20-1 one night, before the game is even over, he'll say "Watch, they'll lose tomorrow 1-0."
If the Sox are up 20-1, I'll make certain I watch until the very end, because YOU NEVER KNOW.

My most commonly used line after leaving a game has been "well, the first 8 innings were great". Boston always seems to do really great until the very end of the inning (and season). :frowning:

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Fading fast? 7-2 during the road trip vs. Chicago, NY and Baltimore. I'd say as a Red Sox fan, born and raised here in Mass, that we are both pessimists and optimists. The last 4 years its been optimism til July and the wheels come off the bus. I feel great about our chances at this point. For the record, I am a diehard sox fan and I don't think the "Yankees Suck". 4 rings since '96 means they don't. I do hate the Yankees, though.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
I'll definately be checking this out. I laughed when I saw the promo for this on HBO with "Narrated by Ben Affleck" in big bold letters. I've really only become a big Red Sox fan this season, it looks like a good thing too.

I'd be very surprised that with the 2 game lead they have on Seattle for the WildCard, and the way that they're playing, if they didn't make the playoffs this year.

Go Nomah! Go Sawks!

Lowell

EricW

Senior HTF Member
can you really blame the Sox? i mean, is it that the BoSox really do choke when it comes down to end, or is it just that the Yankees are always a little better?

:)

LewB

Screenwriter
T-Shirt seen for sale outside Yankee Stadium:
Babe
Bucky
Buckner
Any Questions ?

Wonder what the Cubs' excuse is ?

Lowell_B

Second Unit
I really should let this be, but the shirt says "Yankees Suck" on the front, and "Jeter Swallows" on the back.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is absolutely hilarious. A bit in poor taste maybe but I'd buy a shirt like that. :)

Although, truth be told, I really don't hate the Yankees that much. Maybe a few more years as a Boston fan will change that though.

Lowell

EricW

Senior HTF Member
on a side note, when i was out in SF i went to a Giants game and t-shirts outside said "Go Giants, F*ck the Dodgers" (without the asterisk)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Red Sox management supposedly banned the sale of these shirts in and around Fenway. I haven't been up there this year to confirm.

I was in NY in June and there was no shortage of "Boston Sucks" shirts.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Red Sox management supposedly banned the sale of these shirts in and around Fenway. I haven't been up there this year to confirm.
Well, seeing as they own the park, they won't sell them inside, but they can't ban what's going on on a public street (although they try - that mess on Yawkey Way is a real pain).

My personal favorite is the one that has "Yankees Suck" on the front, and then on the back:

"Clemens Sucks
Williams Sucks
Wells Sucks
Pettitte Sucks

Torre Sucks
AND
Jeter Swallows"

I'm not proud of laughing out loud at it, but I do anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks