What's new

Red Sox acquire Giambi! (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Okay, it's Little G (Jeremy), but they got him for a minor-league pitcher who's four weeks off of surgery. Still, unless reports of his head-caseness have been understated, this is some serious OPS being added to the line-up. And, hey, I don't think the Red Sox and Yankees have had brothers at the same position since Dom & Joe Dimaggio. Could be fun.

I'm liking this... The potential line-up now looks like:

CF Johnny Damon
2B Todd Walker
SS Nomar Garciaparra
DH Manny Ramirez
1B Jeremy Giambi
LF Cliff Floyd
3B Shea Hillenbrand
RF Trot Nixon
C Jason Varitek

... presuming they re-sign Floyd. And, if the Red Sox can trade Hillenbrand while people still think he's a good player, it could get better.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
That would be a terrific lineup. I never understood why Giambi was used so little when he is obviously an effective player.

Is this the first move that Epstein has made?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
i don't think he's a very good fielder. the phillies still used travis lee at first so that's not saying much for jeremy.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Oh, Shea Hillenbrand isn't that bad! My wife has some friends affiliated with people the Red Sox organization, and she is very worried that the Sox are going to get rid of Trot Nixon (who is her all time favorite player). I'd much rather see them get rid of someone like Rickey Henderson (that is, if anyone wants him :laugh:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he's not a head case i watched the phils all year.
he should have been playing over travis lee.

the only thing that kept him out of the lineup is his glove he is not a very good first sacker.

he does havea a great on base %.

so look for him to get alot of walks.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The bullpen still blows and Epstein actually resigned Frank Castillo! Ugh. Hopefully, Nixon can get them a reliever.

Stephen L

Second Unit
So far Epstein is making positive moves , Walker & Giambi.

The bullpen still blows
I think they'll try to pickup a couple of middle reliever in free agency.The hard part is trying to find the guys who come cheaply and will also do good.There seems to be some decent value here.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Or Larry Bowa; one of the two.
Bowa was not a big fan of Lee, so that says even less for Giambi. If he is used as a DH he can be a decent run producer, other then that, he makes Frank Thomas look like a good fielding first basemen. I actually would have liked to see the Phils keep him as a bench player, but he was not going to get playing time at first or in the outfield and would probably become malcontent as the season went on.

J

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't followed Jeremy's career all that closely, but a little homework shows me that his 1B glove isn't all that bad. From 2000 to 2002, he played 46 games at first and had four Es against 298 POs.
He doesn't seem to get a lot of ABs. I don't like these numbers...347 hits lifetime against 314 strikeouts. Only a .269 lifetime BA.
In 2001: 371 ABs in 124 games
In 2002: 313 ABs in 124 games
I like the Todd Walker signing a lot. I think that was Epstein's FIRST move. Pretty solid up the middle with Damon, Garciaparra, Walker and Varitek.
I'd say keep Hillenbrand but move Floyd for pitching. Anyone who can add quality innings as a starter, reliever, or closer would be what puts this line-up in the playoffs.
I DO like the Giambi vs. Giambi karma, though. That's cool.
And, Jason! You REALLY made my heart skip a couple beats with that thread title! :D :D :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
.381 said:
Well, Floyd's still a free agent, although he's been offered arbitration, so they can't really "move" him. Hillenbrand is really their most trade-able commodity.
As for pitching, I'm wondering if signing José Contreras would push Burkett or Fossum into the bullpen. The Pedro/Lowe/Wakefield/Fossum/Burkett rotation is certainly one I can live with, but you wouldn't have to give up a draft pick for Contreras (or Godzilla Matsui, for that matter).

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I like the Giambi pickup. He's a pretty poor fielder, but that's what 1B is for! I'm still not sure why Beane traded him... I hope not to find out why anytime soon either!
BA is a glamarous, but not terribly useful statistic. It shows talent, for sure, but not production.
I'm sure Epstein is trying very hard to trade Hillenbrand for something useful; he's fairly old, not a great fielder, and has most likely already peaked. Hopefully some GM won't see that though.
I'd like to see Fossum in the rotation. He has a decent fastball, a great slider and working on a few other pitches. He could be a good 3rd starter.
And Epstein... Even if the Sox win the series this year, he STILL won't be the most famous Brookline native. :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
For not much money and he'll be the long guy in the pen now that Wakefield is starting.
"Look out Lansdowne St., better call 1-800-54-GIANT!"
Nothing like a guy that gets hit for .289 as a reliever, .340 with runners on, and needs 6+ days rest to keep them under .300. $5 is too much for Frank Castillo and he's wasting a roster spot. Bring Guapo to camp, at least he has a track record of success! More Castillo, Gomes, Banks, Burkett, and Arrojo means wait 'til next year. I don't understand why this hasn't been addressed already and why they continue to resign these folks. For the money they've spent on this crap, at least we know Urbina can get the job done 60% of the time.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...s?statsId=4684
With no more Offerman, Oliver, Hermanson, Clark, Baerga, Urbina, Sanchez, Henderson, and others there shouldn't be a problem taking on salary. There's over $40 million dropped from payroll and there's been zero effort to improve the pen other than Ryan Rupe?? Nice to see Epstein now wants to trade Hillenbrand for Alfonseca. Yikes, why not go for another clutch performer like Armando Benitez. ;) Please move on to another offer or try for Jimenez again or Vizcaino from Milwaukee? With all that money, the best they can shop for is Joey Hamilton and Dave Veres??? They still need a first baseman and right fielder too.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Had the BoSox acquired Jason Giambi, I would have expected the Yankees to never win a World Series again. ;)
Seriously, Jeremy Giambi is a great pick-up for the Sox.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
And JASON Giambi is something terrible at 1B too... but both of 'em are better than Frank Thomas! :)
I don't see the point of Castillo either -- He really looked washed up. I don't know what they signed him for; I'm guessing... and hoping... not much.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Actually, one of the least impressive first basemen I remember was Sam Horn of the Red Sox. :)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Sam Horn
Wow, there is a name I haven't heard in years! It's too bad that he never really coped with the major leagues. I used to watch him absolutely kill the ball for the Charlotte Knights. For a few seasons he was their best hitter...on a team with Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez!

I hope this works out for Little G. There are a ton of guys that can play but don't get the chance to for one reason or another. As for him being a bad first baseman...well practice helps. Play him more often and he could get decent. McGuire didn't become a decent first baseman till his early 30's, right? I may be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks