Red Semi-Circle Lines on Display

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Russell_Latham, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Russell_Latham

Russell_Latham Auditioning

I have a Sony KP-51HW40 RPTV. I am seeing when the background is dark, say black or dark blue, there are semi-circular red lines spaced several inches apart that arch on my screen. They are very thin but very annoying. Anybody have any ideas on what this might be.

Russ

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There may be some stray red material that is not part of the picture and off the screen due to overscan, but reflecting off of shiny objects inside the cabinet.

If there is a trap door in the back you can look into you might be able to cover shiny objects with dull black cloth or put electricl tape over parts of the lenses inside so as to eliminate the stray lines but not dim out parts of the picture.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Russell_Latham

Not sure if I completely follow what you're meaning but this has cropped up suddenly. If I go into the service menu to calibrate and bring up the gird and it turns the picture solid black the image still appears. Calibration did not fix it.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

sounds like the red CRT is set too high ... turning the red screen trimpot down a bit will make the lines go away ... but the grayscale will need to be rebalanced as a result ...

regards

5. Russell_Latham

I think I'll wait until the pro gets there to adjust it since I paid for the warranty. I've only used it one other time and I'm also having the flicker issue. My TV is one of the models that falls under the issue so hopefully I'll get three tubes replaced.

6. *Carl*

*Carl* Auditioning

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and registered specifically because I have that same problem (red semi circular lines in my screen mainly visible when the screen is dark) .

Michael I'm not sure if I get what you mean (sorry my first language is french, not english) the adjustement and calibration you're talking about , aren'T adjustement we can do ourself with the remote right cause I've tried everything and ended up beeing able to attenuate the lines a bit but not get rid of it. Is it an adjustment that needs to be done internally by a pro?

It looks like this

[​IMG]

7. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I have had similar issues except for me it was blue lines.
    but as micahel said, it needs adjustment. I was on extended warranty(Iam still no) when my Sony had this issue.
    The guy replaced the blue and readjusted the levels and its working fine.

Since I am still on warranty once in a while I open the bottom part of the TV and adjust the guns myself ;-)

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    greetings

find the red trimpot control on the screen trimpot black box under the front speaker panel and wood panel. Turn it down will remove the lines ... but you will have to retweak your grayscale as a result.

It may also be a sign something will go one the set soon.

Regards

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    to add to what michael said, the trim pot knob is very sensitive, it may only take a touch of it to remove the lines.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Don't you need specialized equipment to re-adjust grey scale?